Painting On Fondant

Decorating By montanakate Updated 18 Apr 2005 , 8:35pm by Lisa

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 7

I've heard about painting on fondant, what kind of "paints" do you use? Just your colorings or something different?

6 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 7

Luster/petal dusts thinned with vodka or lemon juice works. I've also painted on fondant using watered down Wilton pastes. It will look watered down though...not opaque. Here's some I painted with watered down green and black Wilton pastes. It's the head and tail for a turtle cake.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 7

Some people use thinned down icing. Others use watered down food colorings. You can also use luster dust and wilton sells edible food markers. I have some, but have yet to use them.

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the tips, I'm hoping to get some luster dusts soon. How much liquid do you mix w/ the powder?

Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 7

It depends on how intense you want the color and what you're painting on. There's some good info here at the bottom of the page...

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dusts.htm#info

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 7

In the attached picture, I used the wilton colors, mixed with a little clear vanilla. It worked great. Initially, I tried the Wilton food-color markers, and ended up returning them to the store. The book, paste jar and scissors are done with the clear vanilla/paste color.
LL

Lisa Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKross

In the attached picture, I used the wilton colors, mixed with a little clear vanilla. It worked great. Initially, I tried the Wilton food-color markers, and ended up returning them to the store. The book, paste jar and scissors are done with the clear vanilla/paste color.

Those food-color markers Wilton makes are not very good at all. They don't color on anything very well and the tips are so fat that it's impossible to get a nice, fine line. I've been eyeing a set at kopykake though. Has anyone used those or know if they are better?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%