How Do I Make Sugar Glue?

Decorating By MarisaSimonCakes Updated 21 Apr 2013 , 11:54am by Norasmom

MarisaSimonCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarisaSimonCakes Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:35am
post #1 of 6

Hi -- This is probably a silly question but how do I make sugar glue to attach a piece of fondant or gumpaste to a fondant covered cake? or would I use royal icing? are they the same thing?

thanks so much

5 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

The glue I use is just 1/4 tsp gumpaste dissolved in 1 tbsp water for an hour. It works great. You can use royal icing too.

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:44am
post #3 of 6

A little dab of water works just as well...save your fondant, it's expensive!

rvanok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvanok Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #4 of 6

I like gum glue made by adding 1/4 teaspoon of Tylose with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Sprinkle the tylose over the water and let it sit overnight. It doesn't look like it will disolve, but be patient. It will turn into a gel that can be thinned by adding more water, if needed. It will keep for a week in the fridge.

Use royal icing to glue two dry pieces of sugar art. For soft to soft, or soft to dry, you use gum glue.

Water works fine as well, I just prefer the thicker consistency of the gum glue. Plus, this gum glue doesn't leave a shine after it dries if you get it somewhere you didn't want it. Gum glue made with gum arabic will leave tell-tale signs becasue it turns shiny. But it has its uses as well.

I use gum glue made with gum arabic (same method as above) to paint stripes on the inside of dried white gumpaste petunias, for example. When you come back and dust them, the dust doesn't stick to the stripe of dried glue, leaving a white stripe on the flower.

Hope this helps!

odessarae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odessarae Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 7:04am
post #5 of 6

A

Original message sent by cake-angel

The glue I use is just 1/4 tsp gumpaste dissolved in 1 tbsp water for an hour. It works great. You can use royal icing too.

great idea going to try that!!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 11:54am
post #6 of 6

Corn syrup also works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%