Pillsbury Reduced Sugar Cake Mix?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 1:26am by surfergina

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 12

So has anyone seen this stuff? Tried it? I saw it in the store yesterday..... wondering if it's any good - and structurally how is it? Like could you do the durable cake recipe with it? I'm very curious!

11 replies
darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 12

I saw the yellow cake mix the other day too--- was wondering the same.

imartsy Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 12

Yeah I think they only have yellow & chocolate right now....

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 12

What are they using in place of sugar? I cannot use the sugar substitutes. Equal causes extreme anger and mood changes in me, so I stick to my sugar and honey.
Mary

bleckwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bleckwoman Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 12

They have reduced sugar cake mixes? Where did you see them? What store? I'd like to try one. I am diabetic and miss having cakes and stuff!

imartsy Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:15am
post #6 of 12

I think they're using Splenda. I don't know how much that differs from Equal or Sweet N Low. I think they both have cake mixes - maybe one or two flavors. I would think if it goes well for Pillsbury, they would come up with a lot more of them.

Bleckwoman, have you tried the diabetic area of the recipes here at CC? I made a Pineapple cake that came from the "diabetic" section..... it was fabulous! Granted I used cream cheese frosting which of course contains sugar..... but I think the cake would've been great just by itself too. BTW, I found it at Kroger Grocery store - those are located in the south here in the U.S. I'm not sure where you're from though so I don't know what stores may have it - you could check out Pillsbury's website though.

Well if anyone tries this, let us know how it is! I just got done last week making 4 cakes and I need a little break! That was a lot of late nights for me! icon_smile.gif But fun and rewarding too icon_smile.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:57am
post #7 of 12

I just saw these in the grocery stores near me this week too. I was curious how they taste. If anyone trys one, please let us know how they compare.

KimAZ

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 12

I am curious to know too! I haven't seen these yet but I am headed to the grocery store today, I'll look for them as well!

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #9 of 12

I seen them at Harris Teeter today when I was shopping. They cost a little more than a regular mix. I did not get any because I cannot have artificial sweeteners, but thought I would pass on the info.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 1:25am
post #10 of 12

I also want to hear about these. I am allergic to Nutrasweet but I can use Splenda. I hope this one uses Splenda. I will have to check it out.

bleckwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bleckwoman Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 12

Hi,
I finally found the reduce sugar cakes in a store here in New York. I made two of them for a father's day cake that I did and they are really good. I was surprised at how well they baked and how good they tasted. They actually took less time to back and they rise up pretty well. I don't usually use Pillsbury cakes because I find that they don't rise up very well and I don't care for them.
I just wanted to update everyone!!! Try them if want to have something a little less sweet. I think that they are better than regular cakes and I would buy them again.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 1:26am
post #12 of 12

Hi, I've used the one with Devil's Food cake. Yes, it's low sugar and has Splenda in it. I baked one for my diabetic hubby and we tasted it. Well, we weren't too crazy about the taste and that's the only complaint we have.

Strange, my hubby wasn't feeling good after he ate a slice of cake, but I feel fine. It could be a certain amount of sugar alcohol that made him sick, I don't know. It's true that it cost a little more than a regular cake box mix - about 85 cents more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%