Two Questions:

Decorating By pinknlee Updated 15 Mar 2006 , 12:41pm by dvass

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 23

Question #1:
I need to have a cake ready on Thursday Night for Firday Morning. I need roses, which I know how to make, my question is: Is it to early to make them and what is the best way to store them?

Question #2:
I got a request to die the actual cake a color, has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

22 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 23

if you're making your roses a day ahead...they will be more than fine??? are you making them out of BC???? I'm sure they'll be fine I would stick them in a tupperware and keep them out of sunlight, it will fade the color.........and also I HAVE dyed cake batter colors....and it's beautiful........be careful not to go too dark or it will end up looking like play-dough LOL However it doesn't affect the taste any....red velvet cake is always dyed

pinknlee Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 23

I am making them out of buttercream. I wanted to get it done a little early incase I had problems, but it sounds like the roses can't be done any earlier, is that right?

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 23

I sometimes make my roses up to 4 or 5 days in advance. If you want you can put them in the fridge. icon_smile.gif If I go more than a day before, I put them in the fridge.

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 23

I have made and frozen BC roses with no problems.

pinknlee Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 23

There is no problem with the buttercream thawing or melting when you freeze the roses?

Also, do you know when you freeze a cake do you let it defrost be for you frost it? I have only frozen one cake and I frosted it while it was frozen but, ate it that night. I want to have everything ready so that I can put it together on Thursday and deliver it Thursday night. I want to make the cake this afternoon.

bulldog Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 23

OK, what about Make your cake and freeze, make your roses and freeze. Make your frosting and put in fridge. On wednesday night, get your roses and cake out of freezer to thaw overnight. Get out your frosting in the am. When it thaws, decorate your cake. That's the way I do it. Good Luck!

pinknlee Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 23

Thanks you answered all of my questions in big swoop. I feel so silly asking all those questions, self doubt I guess. Everything you told me is what I already know.

Thanks again

bulldog Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 23

Ahh, don't feel silly, just have fun with it, and you know what you are doing. Be confident. Let me hear you ROAR!!!! Sorry, going crazy....

cakegirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirlcakes Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 2:39am
post #10 of 23

helen? helen ready is that you!? LOL! i guess im dating myself but that roar comment cracked me up!

pinknlee Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 3:21am
post #11 of 23

icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gifROAR icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 3:24am
post #12 of 23

I have made them 7 days in advance and they are great because you can actually handle them better. The earlier the better though.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 3:52am
post #13 of 23

I agree early is fine! Keep them covered if you dont want them to dry out!

pinknlee Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 5:15am
post #14 of 23

I made the cake tonight, but now it is not rising or baking all the way through if I cook it any more it will be brown and burnt. That is why I try to make them in advance. I have just never done one this far in advance before.

pinknlee Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 5:37am
post #15 of 23

The cake finally finished baking and then it stuck to the bottom of both cake pans. It came out in pieces. Thank goodness I can try again tomorrow icon_sad.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 12:23pm
post #16 of 23

Cut out parchment paper and line your bottom....you will never lose a cake again.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 12:27pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknlee

I am making them out of buttercream. I wanted to get it done a little early incase I had problems, but it sounds like the roses can't be done any earlier, is that right?

Don't know if anyone has answered this yet (haven't read the entire thread) but I put my BC roses on a cutting board, and stick them in the freezer, until they are nice and hard. I then place them in freezer containers, and they will stay in the freezer for weeks. You just place the frozen roses on your cake. They will get soft for a while, the harden off.
I make all my roses ahead of time and always have them on hand when I get a cake order. (If you look at my photos, you will see I use a lot of roses!)

They are great therapy to do while watching TV! haha

auntiecake Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:43am
post #18 of 23

Grease your pan w/crisco shortening and dust w/flour. Bake at 335 degrees so it will bake more slowly and evenly. You may be able to go as low as 325degrees depending on your oven. Let you cake set for 10 minutes when you take it out of the oven and then turn upside down. Hope this helps! Linda

pinknlee Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:47am
post #19 of 23

I did the whoel crisco and flour thing on the first cake and I baked the cake at 325 I don't know what went wrong. I used the same recipe and it worked out great today. I line the pan this time

auntiecake Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 4:45am
post #20 of 23

Grease and line the pan may help! You are right! That should work if the other didn't! Good Luck

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:32am
post #21 of 23

There is also air dried buttercream recipes I have recently been told about and the roses apparently keep for weeks????!!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:12pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknlee

I did the whoel crisco and flour thing on the first cake and I baked the cake at 325 I don't know what went wrong. I used the same recipe and it worked out great today. I line the pan this time

Make sure you don't cool the pan too long (I don't go more then 5-8 minutes) if it gets to cool,. the shortening and flour become a glue and the cake will stick.

I also always line the bottom of my pans with parchment paper..especially sheet cakes. I use the Cake release on character pans...

dvass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dvass Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 12:41pm
post #23 of 23

I always grease my cake pans with crisco, then line the bottom with wax paper. I then grease the wax paper and flour the whole pan. Don't know exactly where I got this idea, but all my cakes seem to come out easier without breaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%