Wedding Cake With Poem Written Around Tiers

Decorating By PinkCakeBox Updated 13 Mar 2006 , 5:53pm by Calejo

PinkCakeBox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkCakeBox Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a three tiered wedding cake - and the customers requested that around the tiers, scrolling down would be a sonnet. The look I'm going for is sort of an ivory fondant, with writing in a brown, to have an old english look to it. Originally, I was going to write in script by hand with one of those food color pens in brown. I recently purchased a photo icing printer and thought maybe I could print out the poem, and then apply them like rings around the cake...but I'm afraid you'll see seams. Does anyone have any suggestions for this cake....oh and I'm driving 4 hours from NJ to Boston with the cake - so nothing too crazy!

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 7

I would like to first say Welcome to cake central.

Unfortunately I have not had any experience with these types of cakes, however with having to travel that far and worrying about seams I would probably go with the food writter-since it is on fondant that should make it a lot easier in my opinion.

Hopefully others who have done this technique can help you. Can't wait to see the cake.

leily

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 7

I'd go with hand writing it myself, or painting it on with a very thin brush and cocoa - good luck!

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 7

Does it have to be around the cake? I was thinking maybe printing the thing out on your printer and then putting it on a half rolled out piece of paper and then on the cake. Other than that... wait, maybe do it on some ribbon and then strategicly place it around the tiers. Godd luck! thumbs_up.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 7

I'd probably do the edible image. My handwriting is horrible, especially on the side. I'd just lay out a 4 " by 10" area and write everything in that. You might have two seams on the cake, where the rectangles meet. If you butt them carefully together, it shouldn't be that noticeable. I guarantee it would look better than anything *I* would try to write. icon_smile.gif

PinkCakeBox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkCakeBox Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 4:14am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all of the advice. I guess maybe I'll try a practice one on a cake dummy and see what happens. While I'm here...does anyone have any advice on keeping the cakes from moving over the long trip? does freezing them before hand helP? i'm afraid the fondant will sweat and the writing will come off!

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 7

ok, first, do NOT freeze a cake with fondant on it. As it thaws, the fondant becomes gummy... ew. Freezing fondant itself is fine, but not when it covers a cake.

As far as transporting it goes, I would suggest transporting each piece seperately and just assembling them at the location. Better chance of no boo boos. And don't forget your "emergency kit". thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%