What Do You Use?

Decorating By imaginecakes Updated 14 Mar 2006 , 7:16pm by mommymarilyn

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 19

Ok, so I made the MMF fondant for the first time a few days ago...and I am finding it very hard to work with. I have used the wilton ready made fondant before, and that was much easier to work with, but it tastes awful!!! I love the way the MMF fondant tastes...I just suck with it!!! Anyway, I was just wondering what kind everyone else uses? Thanks all!!!

18 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 19

I love the MMF.Did you use enough icing sugar?I throw mine into the microwave to soften it up! I also use a bit of crisco to keep it from sticking.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 19

I had a very hard time working with MMF at the start...it was very hit and miss. I too have learned to soften in the microwave before rolling out, it makes a world of difference! Start out with about 10 second intervals, micro a little longer if needed.

Learn from my mistakes:
Don't get in a rush and microwave for too long at a time, you will have a lovely bowl of hot marshmallow creme that is good for nothing!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 19

I agree that the Wilton stuff is easier to work with but then again I have only tried MMF once been a little reluctant to use it again especially on cakes that I am getting paid for - I think I will have to get past the fear and try again I really like the taste of the MMF MUCH better.

imaginecakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 19

I acually did all three of those things. My problem was I kept screwing it up when I was rolling it out, so I would have to start over again...but since I used so much icing sugar to coat my rollout mat with, the fondant ended up being to dry when I went to knead it again...so I would add a few drops of water to make it more pliable again...after doing this several times, it just wouldn't even roll out anymore without craking and crumbling apart! Maybe I am just handling it too much. I have yet to master the fondant thing, and it just seemed that the Wilton stood up much better to all of my wear and tear!!! Thanks.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 19

Don't worry, the first time I tried it I couldn't work with it at all, I was crying it was so bad...

I'm finally starting to get the hand of it after about my 5th batch, just keep practicing, it'll get better!

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 19

I've nevery made the MMF, but I used the Satin Ice just last night, and I love it! Much easier to work with compared to the Wilton brand. Tastes oodles better too!

imaginecakes Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 19

Could someone give me the recipe they use for the Satin Ice? I saw one on the "recipes" board, but I wnat to make sure that it's the same recipe!!! Thanks so much!!!

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 19

Jhansen,

I bought mine from Cincicakeandcandy.com. I just bought a 2lb tub, cuz I wanted try it out. Now I wish I had bought more!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

since I used so much icing sugar to coat my rollout mat with, the fondant ended up being to dry when I went to knead it again...so I would add a few drops of water to make it more pliable again...after doing this several times, it just wouldn't even roll out anymore without craking and crumbling apart!

I believe it's the water causing the problem. Try using Crisco instead, it puts the pliability back into the MMF, or even regular fondant for that matter. As well, try rolling it out on a piece of vinyl that you can buy at Wal-Mart, the smooth unpatterened kind. I swear by this method! I never need any powdered sugar or cornstarch at all!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcakes

Learn from my mistakes:
Don't get in a rush and microwave for too long at a time, you will have a lovely bowl of hot marshmallow creme that is good for nothing!

except in a big tall cup of hot chocolate.... icon_wink.gif

Hardygirl18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hardygirl18 Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 19

I have never used MMF, but I have been dying to try it. Thanks for the tips..

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 3:16pm
post #13 of 19

don't get discouraged with the mmf .. .the first few times I had a hard time ... I decorate with a friend and we would work together and it would take the two of us to get the job done ... I use the recipe on this site ... I roll out on the wilton mat ... make sure you use crisco generously on the mat .. when you first start rolling it out and it is still very thick lift it up and sprinkle the sugar or cornstarch on the mat, then continue to roll out ... I can now do this by myself and in 5 mins flat .... thumbs_up.gif

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 19

I've only made MMF twice and it tastes ok. I prefer to make my own fondant. It tastes more like royal icing and it isnt as chewy as MMF I find.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 19

jhansen13.....wanted to make sure that you know that Satin Ice is a pre-made fondant and that there's no recipe for it! I agree with the compliments it received in this thread! It's a dream to work with and tastes great. It IS, however, considerably pricier than making MMF. You have to incorporate that increase in your cost! I've made MMF once and it turned out great. Used it for fondant roses.....I just haven't been happy with the taste when comparing it to SI. I think I just need to keep experimenting with what flavorings I add. GOOD LUCK!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 3:25pm
post #16 of 19

I think I have done MMF twice and both times I was very easy to work with. Except that the next day, if I had any leftover that I had stored, it got to hard... I didn't know I could stick it in the microwave to soften so know I know.

Honestly, I don't mind Wilton's fondant because I had almond extract to it and it makes a world of a difference in taste...

icon_biggrin.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 19

I have grown to LOVE working with MMF. I enjoy making it...and enjoy working with it. I second the comment above about Crisco. I put a glob of crisco next to my work area and use it to grease my hands, the work surface and anything that comes into contact with the MMF. I use NO powdered sugar to roll it out at all! If coloring the stuff causes the texture to change, I'll work a little more Crisco in, and it comes back to normal. I roll out on vinyl sheets (Walmart has really cheap prices). Sometimes I use two sheets and roll the fondant between them. I had been transferring the fondant by picking up the entire vinyl sheet and flipping it over onto the cake. I use heavy vinyl and that seemed kind of stressful on the cake structure. I may try lighter vinyl. Yesterday, I tried the old rolling pin trick. I greased the rolling pin...and the top surface of the fondant. I made sure the greased surface was the one next to the cake when I applied it. That went very well. I guess I've been lucky. The stuff is like playing for me. icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 4:41pm
post #18 of 19

I have just started using the Satin Ice and like it a lot. It tasts better and is easy to work with. Sometime this week I am going to try and make choco-pan. Has anyone tried that? You can get the recipes from Sugarcraft. Fearlessbaker

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:16pm
post #19 of 19

If you don't like the flavor of MMF you can add different flavorings to it. I used a little bit of cocount and some pecan and it was wonderful! Tasted a lot like german chocolate frosting! I have also used pralines and got a lot of positive comments from my coworkers on that one.

I agree on using criscoe instead of cornstarch - it works much better for me, but I had to learn (the hard way, of course, what other way is there? icon_cry.gif ) to use it sparingly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%