Insanity For Sanity's Sake - (Cake Dec Blog)

Decorating By rosiecakes Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 5:33am by JoanneK

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:29am
post #1 of 2

This past weekend I let my own creative ambitions over run my time limitations and it lead to alot of stess and some bad words and it was totally of my own doing, consequentially I was not pleased with the final outcome and I had to ask myself, Why do I do this?

I'm not bored, far from it. Working full time and being a mom full time and homeowner full time, I don't go around looking for ways to spend my off hours. It's TIME consuming. It's a weekend business, when weekends are my most precious commodity. Think about it, only 52 Saturdays a year, most of them spent shuttling kids around but many of the rest are spent stressed out, covered in powdered sugar, trashing the kitchen. It's messy. Quality ingredients aren't cheap, but then again, neither is a good reputation. Subtract the upfront cost and factor in my precious, precious time and I'm often operating at a loss - and that doesn't even take into account the donations and barter deals. One creation can take 8 hours or more to give birth to, only to kill in sometimes in as little as 15 minutes after delivery...

So why in the world would anyone want to decorate cakes?

Because the personal rewards are sooooo intoxicating. Because in a world of Chaos and tragedy it's a chance to create something beautiful. To have control over JUST one aspect of life and have it turn out exactly as planned. (or not) When there is a plan. Sometimes it's a chance to start with a blank slate and receive Divine Inspiration through the creative process and just see a work of art evolve. It's turning a basic concept into aesthetic reality. Sometimes it's the joy and heartache of transforming the original plan due to external forces whether they are humidity, moody icing, non cooperative fondant or a two year old who reaches the edge of the table and just GRABS a chunk out of your cake. It's a chance to hone your problem solving skills when you have an hour to repair on site a cake that took you 8 hours in your own kitchen but it "shifted" in transit...Sometimes the war stories and the resulting adrenaline rush are more satisfying than the successes.

Yes, there are a lot of hassles and challenges and one day the stress will probably affect my health. It's insanity, with a higher purpose. For me the ultimate payoff is to witness the look on the face of the recipient when they see one of my creations for their special day and knowing that I put that smile there, I did that. I shared my God given talents and made someone smile, it feels good. That is where the sanity of it all comes together. Creative pursuits are good for the soul.

1 reply
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:33am
post #2 of 2

Isn't that the TRUTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%