I Need Some Ideas

Decorating By CakeBakingGurl Updated 28 Mar 2007 , 10:13pm by NewbeeBaker

CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:17am
post #1 of 11

My mom is throwing a little party for my father in celebration of one year sobriety! Any idea's of a cake I could do??

10 replies
pink_bunny03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pink_bunny03 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:30am
post #2 of 11

you could do a hand shaped cake that says something to the effect of "high 5 for you".

you could also do as cake that jokes that there are better things to get addicted to... like cake. (depending on his sence of humor)

usaribbon.gificon_biggrin.gifusaribbon.gif

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:02am
post #3 of 11

I think a "Congratulations!! YOU DID IT!" type theme would be awesome.

And maybe incorporate some of the things he's been able to accomplish this past year, that maybe he wouldn't have before he took on this quest.

(and more on the personal quest thing - a treasure map idea would be kinda cool - because he's on his own path to real treasure - a sober life)

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 11

Another idea. A no drinking sign on cake with your message: Congratulations on one year of sobriety. Check pic in link below. You could replace the burger and wine glass with a bottle.

http://www.sign.co.za/P15.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 11

What about a wagon? Can't remember the phrase cause it's too early for me! But I also like the path idea. Something that is going to make him feel good about himself taking this journey.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 11

I like the wagon idea...

a bed of roses(gotta include a few thorns...) traveling on a path of broken bottles...

what's a thorn every now and then compared to a busted ass if you fall off?

or a bridge...with friends and family and him of course walking across together....

It's all water under the bridge...we'll get over this together

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:40am
post #7 of 11

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here or not, but don't people get poker chips as markers of milestones when they are in AA? Or is this just something you see on TV/in the movies? Anyway, if they really do, you could put the ones he's earned on the cake?

Or to go a completely different route, how about cutting the cake out in the shape of a large 1?

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 11

I guess it depends on the kind of guy your dad is. If he's embarrassed about it, it might be a good idea not to have too much of a "theme" to it, and instead just make a generic "congratulations" cake. Maybe something about a "special kind of birthday." If he's really open about it and has a sense of humor about it, maybe something involving stairsteps? Or a cake that looked like a lake with stepping stones across it and a little fondant figure of him walking across them? I can imagine it's kind of a touchy cake to make! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 11

I would get a hold of his one year chip and put the logo on the cake.

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 11

What about a trophy on the cake?

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 11

How about the serenity pray. When my husband went thru treatment, that was said everyday in treatment and at meetings. Not sure if your dad has done either of those. But a nice book cake with the serentiy prayer I think would be nice and encouraging to keep going.

Serentiy Prayer...

God grant me the serentity
to accept the things I cannot change
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%