Grape Clusters

Decorating By Grandmasue Updated 18 Apr 2005 , 10:51am by Grandmasue

Grandmasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grandmasue Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all you helpful people,

I'm doing two First Communion cakes for May 7th for two of my grandaughters. Can you imagine two at the same time at two different churches. At least they are having the reception together.For one of the cakes, I made a chalice out of white chocolate and I would like to pipe
three clusters of grapes along the cup portion but don't know the best way to do it or which tip to use. Any ideas or pictures in the gallery I can look at?

Thanks,
Grandmasue

5 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 6

Your going to use an open end tip like a number 12 I dont know how large you want to make them but any of them number tips is going to work to do what you want...

Grandmasue Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Victoria. The grape clusters will be about 3/4 inches high.

Grandmasue

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 6

I would proble use a 10 - 12 to make them ... But what ever is going to look right with your items not seeing the items it makes it a bit hard you know.. But any of the OPEN end tips will work for what your wanting to do .. and your just going to pipe kinda balls but in grape shape.. if that makes sinces...

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 6

If the cluster are going to be only 3/4 inches high, I would use a smaller round tip (7-10).

Here is a cake I made with clusters:

These cluster were about 1" tall. I used a 10 tip. It is very easy. You start at the bottom and work your way up. Squeeze out some icing as though trying to pull the tip perpendicular with the cake. The heavier you squeeze, the larger your grape will be. Don't worry about any points until the last row. Make your next rows. On the top row, do the same thing trying to make as little or no tips/points as possible. If you use a crusting buttercream, you can use your finger to manipulate the points after a few minutes. Add your vines and leaves and call it a day!!

Grandmasue Posted 18 Apr 2005 , 10:51am
post #6 of 6

Cali4dawn,

Your grapes look terrific, Thanks so much.

Grandmasue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%