How Do I Make This Border?

Decorating By fytar Updated 14 Mar 2006 , 9:55pm by babynewyear

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 34

I can't figure this border out - the bottom especially but maybe someone can also enlighten me on the top one as well. I don't know who came up with this but I absolutely love it and it's probably one of you very talented people on here, so can anyone give me an idea as to how I can get this or similar look? Thanks!
LL

33 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 34

Almost looks like a leaf tip to me, but sort of upside down so the center vein is underneath.........anyone else?

deb

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 34

The bottom border looks kind of like the violet leave from Wilton, elongated and done in blue.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/violet.cfm

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 34

I think this is it: I got this information from another post here linking to the Martha Stewart site.

Leaf Garland Cake

Chill the buttercream slightly before decorating, but not so much that it doesnt pipe smoothly.

Using an open star tip No. 18, pipe a white shell zigzag border along the top and bottom edge of the cake: Hold the bag at a 45-degree angle to the side of the cake; in a continuous line, squeeze and pull to the left, release and gently draw to the right, and so forth. With a leaf tip No. 70, pipe leaves in green icing: Position the tip on the inside edge of the zigzag border with the back of the bag facing you, and squeeze and hold the tip in place, then relax and pull toward you over the zigzag border, curving slightly to the right as you draw the leaf to a point. Use a round tip No. 5 to pipe a small dot in a lighter shade of green on the upper left side of each leaf.
LL

fytar Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Sunset

The bottom border looks kind of like the violet leave from Wilton, elongated and done in blue.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/violet.cfm

Oh my gosh, you're right, it does look a lot like the violet leaf. Thanks so much for that info.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 34

I definitely agree with alien_sunset that the bottom looks like elongated violet leaves but the top is definitely a mystery. It is very unique!
Good luck,
Heather

fytar Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMari

...but the top is definitely a mystery. It is very unique!
Good luck,
Heather

Yeah. It almost looks like it is one continuous movement, too.

fytar Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 34

Thanks, ttowndiva...but I think that the leaf look is more defined than what I'm wanting. The border picture I attached kinda reminds me more of feathers around the cake. Thanks though for replying because I will keep this in mind for another cake I'm doing.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 34

I coud be wrong, but the top border looks like they took a round tip, say #8 and pulled it out, then brought it back in and then did a loop on itself and started again. Does that make sense? then again, I could be wrong!! icon_biggrin.gif

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 34

Please post a picture and let us know how you get the look. I know I would LOVE to use this.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 34

I also say the bottom is an elongated violet leaf.

I think the top might be a tip 362-363. Look at the picture on the tip page, it looks very similar.

lng_1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lng_1978 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 34

YES...PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU CAN FIGURE THIS OUT. THIS REALLY IS A GREAT BORDER AND GREAT CAKE! BIG HURRAH FOR THE PERSON WHO DECORATED THIS CAKE~

LES

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 34

Hey, that does look like #362. You have to get a close-up to see it.

fytar Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 34

I'll see if I can get this effect and show you guys Monday when I get back to the computer. I have to do this on a baby shower cake for tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 6:38pm
post #15 of 34

hello everyone; that is my cake! I was told by a friend you needed some help with the borders!
the bottom border was invented by Jennifer Dontz. the leafy part is done with a tip 104, fat side to the cake, the tip laying on its side; squeeze hard and then go in and out away from cake, toward cake... etc. then pipe over that with a star tip or whatever you like. the top border is done with a tip 98 ( like a half moon shell shape) and it's one motion, kind of a reverse shell motion, and on the down stroke you let it droop over the side. I dont know if I made myself clear or not, but I hope that helped some!!! thumbs_up.gif SHaron

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 34

Very very cool boarder Sugarshack. I just logged on and saw it. Post lots more! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 12:24am
post #17 of 34

Love the little boy baby fishing design! Great cakes Sharon. I've added your website to my favorites.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 12:40am
post #18 of 34

sugarshack, I just bookmarked your website! You do amazing work!!! Thank you for posting the how to on the border.

Thanks for posting a picture of this cake fytar. I can't wait to give this border a try!!

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 12:48am
post #19 of 34

When I posted I didnt realize you had a site.Thanks for posting. Your cakes are very nice.
I will have to try your border. Looks a little tricky. But hey I love a challenge.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 1:10am
post #20 of 34

That is a beautiful border!

Sugarshack,
Your cakes are so gorgeous!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 1:29am
post #21 of 34

I agree with Tracy! Your cakes are incredible, Sharon!! You are my new HERO!!! When I grow up, I want to be just like you !! (LOL)

sugarshack Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 4:27pm
post #22 of 34

HOLY MOLY!!! Thank you everyone so much!!

I didn't even know this forum existed until a friend told me abut the other day. guess I have another place to hang out!! thumbs_up.gif

thank you for the welcome!!!

if you guys have any problems with the borders, please email me.

Candee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candee Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 4:34pm
post #23 of 34

Sharon is a honey! and I'm glad to see a close up and have you write it out! I was lucky enough to have Sharon show me that in person but I haven't tried it yet on a cake. This close up and narrative will sure help.

Sharon - is there a help line for us to go to? Cake forums anonymous??!

sugarshack Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 4:37pm
post #24 of 34

Amy Candy Honey Bunches of Oats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bwahahahahahahaha

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are addicted, aren't we????

Well, there goes housework... OK OK. like I was doing it before....... icon_razz.gif

fytar Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 4:22pm
post #25 of 34

Oh, my Lord, Sharon!! It's you!!! Why didn't I recognize this as your work?! Glad you're here now! We'll be bugging you a plenty!!

Tarina

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 4:52pm
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

HOLY MOLY!!! Thank you everyone so much!!

I didn't even know this forum existed until a friend told me abut the other day. guess I have another place to hang out!! thumbs_up.gif

thank you for the welcome!!!

if you guys have any problems with the borders, please email me.

Hello, Sharon. That is so funny, because this past wknd. I sent you an email from your site (email from [email protected]) and I told you that your cakes were magnigicent. They are Perfect! Funny you found this site now. LOL.

I'm glad you like this site, as it can be addicting. LOL.

Have fun! thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 8:31pm
post #27 of 34

Thanks guys! glad to be here and hang out with ya'll!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 8:39pm
post #28 of 34

THE Sharon from Sharon's Sugar Shack?!?

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

You do some great cakes and have inspired quite a few of mine!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!!!

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 6:26pm
post #29 of 34

Sharon, your site was one of the first ones I bookmarked when I found Cake Central! I love love love your designs! It's so wonderful for you to be a part of our family! Trust me, many times this site is the highlight of my day! Welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

msumissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msumissa Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 6:52pm
post #30 of 34

Sharon, your cakes are just beautiful! I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that the cake here is buttercream! I thought for sure it was fondant. Can I ask how you get that beautiful diamond pattern in your buttercream? And what kind of recipe are you using that allows you to get that deep indent? Thank you so much for your time! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%