How Do You Answer This Question?

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 26 Mar 2007 , 6:40pm by SweetResults

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 14

"Wow! That's a CAKE? How long did it take you?"

I HATE THAT QUESTION!!! I never have a good answer and I don't really want to tell them anyway! icon_mad.gif

What do you say when people ask you this?

Also - when they ask "How?" what do you say? I really don't want to tell them my methods or even the broad idea of it.

I know they mean well and I appreciate the sentiment, I just don't have a good response for it.

13 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 14

I sort of answer in a vague way...especially when people think you can get a cake all done the day before (baking and making icing included - they just don't understand that freezing cakes and making BC a few days ahead is OK and actually almost absolutely necessary).

I say something like it took a few days and I finished last night, etc. As far as how - that's tricky too. You can make a joke about how you don't want to share your secrets! Or even say something how every cake is different and it just takes planning...something similarly vague.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 14

It takes hours of different stages

chang the subject

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 14

I hate that question, too!

pb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pb Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 14

I always say that I do things in stages, especially with gumpaste models as they need to be made in advance and time allowed to dry.

I have always said that i never add up how long each one takes - not a lie really as if I did I think it would be quite a shock sometimes!!

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 14

I personally am flattered when they come back with responses like that....or "Is it all edible?" ..."even this part?" ...."even that part". It means I've delivered the "wow" factor I was hoping for. When they ask how long it took, I definitely tell them. It definitely starts to take people away from the "it's just a cake" mentality we've discussed on cc before. As far as instruction, I just give vague answers and people don't press it. Most don't truly want to know step by step what you did with the intention of going home and trying it.

That response means you've done a helluva job...IMO you should proudly answer! icon_smile.gif

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 14

For the how long question I usually give a rough estimate of hours, but I don't go into detail about anything.

For the "how did you" do it question, I say "very carefully." That usually shuts them up. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetResults Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 14

Tomoore - Oh I DO truly LOVE the "Is THAT cake??" part!! icon_biggrin.gif That is really great.

It's just I wish I had a nice (polite) snappy answer for the "how long" and "how" parts. I aways stumble all over myself and sound like a blithering idiot trying to answer icon_sad.gif Just something that doesn't sound too modist or too snooty. I love hearing the compliments, just not very good at responding to them LOL!

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 14

It's not a real question. People aren't expecting a real answer. It usually an amazement question.
Just smile and say a while. If they ask again tell them.

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

1. As long as it took!
2. Oh, not long...I just whipped it out!
3. Hmmm...let's see...what's today's date?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Response: "Longer than you think!" Then walk away.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 14

I usually try to give a broad ballpark of hours including that I do it over a few days. I think it helps people understand why a cake from me costs more than a cake from walmart.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 14

I always have said that it took longer to make than it will to eat.

SweetResults Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 14

Peachshortcake - THAT'S a great answer!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%