Gumpaste Shoes?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 11 Mar 2006 , 1:06am by Ursula40

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 3:45am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have directions for gumpaste shoes they'd be willing to share?

7 replies
Viks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viks Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:32am
post #2 of 8

All ears here too icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:49am
post #3 of 8

oh oh oh me too icon_surprised.gificon_wink.gif
regards

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 8:45am
post #4 of 8

Hi There!

Here's a link to another discussion re: gumpaste shoes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-17430-.html

I have both of these books that I mentioned here with me now. The one in Lindy Smith's book uses a mold, the one in Kerry Vincent's book has templates included that you can photocopy if you want to try right away.

I'm hoping to try one out in the next few days icon_smile.gif

HTH!

Mirjana

meems Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meems Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 11:51am
post #5 of 8

I make gumpaste shoes like this:

I first cut out a two soles for the bottom, curving them the way my own shoes look from the bottom, with an indentation along the inner aspect for an arch. Let it dry.

If I'm making slippers, I roll out a fat oval, cut it in half, wet the sole part, and stick the rounded edge part around the toe end and along the sides. I use my tools to make sure the edge is adhering, and set a small piece of paper towel or tissue halfway inside the slipper to allow for it to dry up and off the sole/bottom. Use the other half of the oval to make the top of the other shoe.

If I'm adding a back to the slipper to make a shoe, I simply cut a narrow strip of gumpaste, about the depth that the shoe heel would be, again wet the edge of the sole, and wrap the strip around the back of the sole, attaching it to the toe piece at just about the arch area.

After they're good and dry, I paint the the outsides with petal dust mixed with lemon extract. Sometimes I paint the inside with a very tiny brush and the same paint solution in an off-white color.

By the way, you could also make the toe piece and heel piece a bit shorter and cut a couple of tiny lace-up pieces to place across the arch. Use a clay gun to make some laces.

Please keep in mind that the shoes I make are very small; the largest have been about 2 1/2 inches long and the smallest: maybe an inch.

I have no idea how these methods would work on larger shoes, but I don't see what would stand in the way of giving it a try. As a matter of fact, why not buy some cheap insole inserts from the pharmacy to use as a template for the bottom sole?

Hmmmmmm. The mind races with the possibilities.

Viks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viks Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the reply!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for your help! I want to make a large one, but meem's directions are very helpful! I'll also check out Kerry VIncent's book, next time I get near a bookstore. I'm such a visual person...

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 1:06am
post #8 of 8

Unfortunately there is no way I can get those books here, but when I can get up my courage, I will start to experiment. I have seen some pics of big shoes with cakes, don't remember where though. They looked mre like cakes. Anyone have any Ideas about those? This site is so awesome. I've only found CC 3 weeks ago maybe, and already made some different cakes and the customers are going wild. Looks as is I might get a turkey cake soon, will make the purse this week and the teapot and saucers, without you guys, I would never have thought it possible. You guys rock, sorry, had to get that off my chest. I can imagine having someone ask about shoes soon. Would love to be prepared. Am trying the Flip Flops this week for myself.
Hugs Ursula

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%