Filling/torting Question--Need Your Expertise, Please Help!!

Decorating By midialjoje Updated 26 Mar 2007 , 5:39am by tyty

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:50am
post #1 of 5

I've got a big order due on Sunday. Here's what she wants:

full sheet cake (1/2 chocolate, 1/2 white). As far as fillings: She wants chocolate ganach for the white side and white chocolate ganache for the chocolate side.

Here are my questions or concerns: never torted a full sheet before (or 2 halfs). will this be ok? have you used ganache this way for fillings?

Thank you!
Diane

edited because I was obviously falling asleep when typing and very little of it made any sense. My subject line said something about basketball before????!!!!

4 replies
fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:54am
post #2 of 5

Can't help w/ganache question. I do love it, but haven't tried it as filling.

The 1/2 sheets will tort more easily if you freeze them first.

terabera69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terabera69 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:55am
post #3 of 5

I have not used ganache filling before, but as far as torting goes. It is very tricky to do with two separate flavors. I use the biggest Wilton sheet pan that takes no more than three cake mixes, so dividing up flavors is my problem. I thought that I would be clever and use four boxes. Not a good idea. The cake was heavy and kept cracking. I had to start over. GRRRR!!! After you bake the cake and cool it, cut in half and freeze the top layer before replacing it. If it breaks, glue up with icing. Good luck!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:34am
post #4 of 5

If I were you I make two different cakes. One white and one chocolate. Then it will be easier to tort also. Then before you ice them push them together and ice it so it looks like one cake.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:39am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

If I were you I make two different cakes. One white and one chocolate. Then it will be easier to tort also. Then before you ice them push them together and ice it so it looks like one cake.

That is exactly what I did for my 1/2 and 1/2 sheet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%