Pokeball Disaster

Decorating By flowers40 Updated 26 Mar 2007 , 5:13am by flowers40

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:37am
post #1 of 3

Talk about a disaster! I've got a real funny story. I usually don't get paid to make cakes. I usually do them for special occasions at my own expense. But every so often, some one asks me to make a cake for a minimum fee. Well, on this occasion, I was being paid to make a pokeball cake. After doing a little research on what the heck a pokeball was. I set out to make the cake look like the ball. I decided to use my ball cake pan, and instead of using a lot of frosting stars to make the design, I decided I would use molded chocolate. I did think it through enough to realize I would need a little bigger mold for the chocolate fit over the cake. I made two half chocolate spheres made out of chocolate candy melts. One was white and the other red. My 1st mode broke while attempting to remove it. The cakes stuck in the pan (something that doesn't usually every happen to me. One of my half balls came out of the pan in two pieces. I repaired that with frosting and chocolate. The cake the ball was to sit on also stuck to the pan. I had to repaired this too. Well when I finally got it all together, I was fairly happy with it. Not a terrible job if I must say so my self. Well, I still had to transport it to work. And in transit, the ball rolled of the cake, smashed my boarder around the cake, the chocolate shall cracked. I had to sit the ball on the only thing I had in my car, some napkins, well that stuck to the black fondant. WHAT A MESS. I had to give the cake to the guy, because it was for his son's birthday, which was that day, and I couldn't leave work to go home to fix the cake. He was very gracious!

2 replies
terabera69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terabera69 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #2 of 3

Wow. How terrible. I bet you just wanted to cry! I am alway nervous about transporting cakes. I have learned to secure everything. May I suggest putting a skewer down the center of the ball to hold it in place. Good luck next time.

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:13am
post #3 of 3

Yeah, you bet I just wanted to cry! I told him he only needed to pay me what it cost to make the cake, not for my time! I really never get paid enough for my time anyway, If people paid me for the time put into making a cake, wow, I would be doing this for a living! AnyI way, I just had to step back and learn from the disaster! 1st, always secure anything that might move in transit with a dowel or two! I already new this, just didnit really think it out. Next, always, always take your colored BBF in your decorating bags with tips with you, just incase you need to make repairs. Lastly, never, never, never sit black fondant (sticky sugar clay) on a white napkin and think it won't stick! I guess learning from our mistakes, and how to laugh at our selves is the purpose of this cake disaster forum. It also helps to know that others who have more experience than me, also still have cake disasters too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%