Anyone Have (Or Heard Of) A White Chocolate Frosting Recipe?

Decorating By nocentstar Updated 13 Mar 2006 , 9:07pm by patton78

nocentstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nocentstar Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 16

Hi guys,

I have a bride who would like to have a white chocolate frosting on her cake. I've never heard of this or know how to make it, but I'm hoping there is a way. Anyone have any ideas? Any recipes you could share with me? I'm meeting with her Monday, so I know this is kind of soon, but she just told me about 10 minutes ago. I told her I'd look into it.

Thanks so much, in advance, for any advice and help you may have!

-Kellie

15 replies
AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 16

Hello. I think I saw a recipe on here for something like that. Did you check the recipe area? Hmmmm.
Good luck! icon_smile.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocentstar

Hi guys,

I have a bride who would like to have a white chocolate frosting on her cake. I've never heard of this or know how to make it, but I'm hoping there is a way. Anyone have any ideas? Any recipes you could share with me? I'm meeting with her Monday, so I know this is kind of soon, but she just told me about 10 minutes ago. I told her I'd look into it.

Thanks so much, in advance, for any advice and help you may have!

-Kellie

You could always add white chocolate ganache to your buttercream. Ive done this with dark chocolate for a cake fillings. It's very nice.
nati

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 16

I made one in December and to be perfectly honest I found it way tooooo sweet .... I'll see if I can dig up the recipe

newdec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newdec Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 16

There is a white chocolate buttercream in the recipes here. It is really good, but it is RICH. Not in the same sickly sweet as regular buttercream, but like butter-rich. I just made a 5" round using it and ended up eating around the shell of the icing - but it is wonderful with strawberries, especially, imo.

Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2096-0-White-chocolate-buttercream.html

sofiasmami Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 16

it wasn't as deeply burried as I thought

in a small saucepan, melt 6 oz white banking chcolate with cocoa butter over low heat, stirring requently, cool. In a large mixing bown. beat 1/2 cup butter softened, and 2 teaspoons vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 3 cups powdered sugar. Add 1/3 cup milk. Gradually beat in 3 cups additional powdered sugar. Beat in melted white chocolate until well combined. If needed, beat in 1 to 2 tablespoons additional milk to make a frosting of spreading consistency. Spread on cake immediately. Makes 3 1/2 cups.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:00am
post #7 of 16

I've made this recipe several times and it is fantastic--a nice balance of sweet and chocolate. I've iced cakes and cupcakes with it and I've used it just as a filling. You can also make it with milk chocolate, dark, or semi-sweet chocolate (chips).

White Chocolate Buttercream

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup corn syrup, light
2 sticks (1 cup) butter
2 bags (12 oz each) white chocolate chips
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Heat cream, corn syrup and 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter on the stove until it JUST BARELY comes to a boil. Place chocolate chips in a medium-sized bowl. Pour over chocolate chips. Let stand 1 minute and stir until smooth. Let mixture cool slightly (but not harden) for a few minutes. The ganache should cool to tepid, about 100 degrees F.

2. In a mixer bowl, beat together 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter and confectioner's sugar until light and smooth. Add in the cooled ganache and vanilla extract and beat until smooth and light.

NOTE: Frost the cake while the buttercream is at room temperature. If refrigerated, let sit to room temperature before using.

If the buttercream gets too stiff to work with, even at room temperature, beat on low with a mixer. Note that overbeating the mixture can cause it to become gritty. If necessary, beat in a small amount (1 or 2 tablespoons) of heavy cream to soften slightly. However, the more cream you add, though, the softer the end buttercream will be. Stiffen with more powdered sugar.

Rae

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 16

You can add chocolate to IMBC. I'd think it would work with white just like dark.

The trick will be to use a good white chocolate. Make sure it has cocoa butter listed in the ingredients.

Bad white chocolate is going to be terrible and taste very sweet, plastic like, and waxy.

I would use Lindt bars or something similar.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 16

This is the best tasting white chocolate frosting I have had. It is not sickly sweet, just the right balance of everything.

6 ounces white chocolate, roughly chopped (do not use white chocolate chips)
1- 8 ounce package cream cheese, at room temp
1/2 stick butter at room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Put chocolate in saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring.
Mix cream cheese and butter on low speed about 30 seconds. Add melted chocolate and blend another 30 seconds on low. Add vanilla and sugar, blend for 30 seconds on low. Increase speed to medium and beat until frosting is fluffy, about 1 minute. Frost cake and refridgerate.

Good luck!

patton78 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 16

This is the best tasting white chocolate frosting I have had. It is not sickly sweet, just the right balance of everything.

6 ounces white chocolate, roughly chopped (do not use white chocolate chips)
1- 8 ounce package cream cheese, at room temp
1/2 stick butter at room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Put chocolate in saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring.
Mix cream cheese and butter on low speed about 30 seconds. Add melted chocolate and blend another 30 seconds on low. Add vanilla and sugar, blend for 30 seconds on low. Increase speed to medium and beat until frosting is fluffy, about 1 minute. Frost cake and refridgerate.

Good luck!

patton78 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 16

patton78 again....I would just like to add that you should not use chocolate chips because the chips have a tighter consistency because they are designed to withstand heat and not melt. If you use them instead of a bar chocolate, your frosting will not be as creamy...the higher quality the chocoate, the better the frosting! I use Gharadelli (sp?)

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 16

I'm glad you mentioned that Patton. I didn't know that!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 16

I make a white chocolate cream cheese icing.....it's really yummy....just 6 oz. of white chocolate in a regular cream cheese frosting recipe....it's really good, and the cream cheese cuts the sweetness!!

sofiasmami Posted 12 Mar 2006 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 16

I must replace my existing recipe !!

nocentstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nocentstar Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 16

Wow - thanks SOOO much you guys! I did see the recipe in the 'recipe section' but was afraid that it would need to be refrigerated. Do any (or all) or these need to stay refrigerated or can they be kept at room temperature? I'll have to set up the cake early so I'm just worried about that one thing.

Thanks again for all your ideas, recipes and help - I REALLY appreciate it! People in these forums are the greatest! icon_biggrin.gif

patton78 Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 16

Hey, patton78 here, my recipe calls for refridgeration because it has cream cheese in it. How early do you have to set up. Several hours out of the fridge really should not matter. I would be more worried about any recipes that call for heavy whipping cream as that would be like leaving milk out for hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%