Suede Effect

Decorating By fearlessbaker Updated 9 Mar 2006 , 7:34pm by JennT

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone give me some help on how to get a felt a suede effect on a purse cake? Thanks, Fearless Baker

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 4

I have an idea.....I made a treasure chest cake and was having all sorts of trouble smoothing the icing.......so I put my offset spatula blade over the burner of my stove for a few seconds and then used the "hot knife" to smooth the frosting on my cake....it melted the frosting slightly and changed the chocolate to a slightly darker color...but what I was left with...really looked like sued to me!!! I didn't care, it was a treasure chest...but it was something that I thought to myself would be great if I ever needed a suede look....here is a photo of the treasure chest you can kinda see what I'm talking about....everyone at the party thought it was a toy covered in felt...so maybe it's what you are looking for??
LL

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 4

I know you said suede, but I thought of this. I am going to try a Collete cake next week, and it is called Antique Velvet Purse. It is in her Collette's Birthday Cakes book. The purse in this case is brown, and she says " Dust the cake with cocoa powder to achieve a matte finish resembling the old look of velvet."

I don't know what color you are doing, but I thought this might help you get some idea of where to start.

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 4

You can definitely get that look with fondant....if you want to use that. Or if you're wanting to use buttercream, KHalstead's idea sounds like it would do the trick. I did a crusting chocolate buttercream once and used the hot spatula method to smooth. It sort of melted the icing a tiny bit too, and left the chocolate darker in some places than others. But when it dried and crusted over again it was really very suede-like...especially with the slight difference in color here & there. Plus it dried with a matte finish, like suede has. Maybe just play around with these ideas some and see what gives you the look you're wanting to most. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%