Chocolate Chips Drowned!!!

Decorating By Deana1003 Updated 30 Mar 2007 , 1:10am by Cakerer

Deana1003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana1003 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 12

I baked a chocolate chip cake for the first time. The cake came out and tasted wonderful, but all the chocolate chips fell to the bottom of the pan. Instead of chocolate chips being throughout the cake they were just on the bottom. I used the same scratch recipe I always use and added the chips. Does anyone have an idea how to keep the chips from falling?

11 replies
krystalp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystalp Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 12

I had that happen to me too...I read somewhere on here to toss them with flour and it helps keep them suspended in the batter. I think that's what it said...if I remeber corretly. I've never tried it though. icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 12

I put the choc. chips in a container, add about a teaspoon or two of flour, toss them around until they look coated then fold them into my batter. Works every time. HTH

-Rezzy

Deana1003 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 12

Did you use choc chips or mini choc chips? I always use the minis and they do fine. But let me tell you here and now - NEVER bake one with the giant kiss. Bad, bad experiment.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 12

I do the same as rezzycakes and it works great!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 12

LOL I do that to. I just add a couple tablespoons of my flour mixture and shake it up good. Then I add that last and fold it in.

Deana1003 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 12

What would I do if it wasn't for CC. I use the milk chocolate mini chocolate chips. I want to get this straight......I don't just use a tablespoon of flour from the box I use the flour from the recipe to coat the chocolate chips......right.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 12

Yep - Flour helps them to do a backstroke and stay floating in the batter. This is true with anything you may want to suspend. Fruit, chips, etc. etc.,

I just use enough to coat them - no exact measurement though sorry....

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 12

WOW, thanks for the great tip. I too have had chocolate chips drown icon_lol.gif

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 12

Wow. I will jot that down for when I have to do that!
This place it the best.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:10am
post #12 of 12

I haven't tried this, but I had someone tell me to mix everything in the batter except for the choc chips (in my case it was sprinkles) and once the batter is in the pan, sprinkle the chips in and litely stir, smush or whatever is needed to get them into the batter.....would like to know if this really works to be honest icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%