Need Help! Re: Frosting Sheets On Royal Icing

Decorating By Calejo Updated 17 Mar 2006 , 3:06am by bohemia

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 11

I got a call last night from a lady who paints asian designs on frosting sheets and then attaches them to cakes for a beautiful look. She, however, does not decorate. She was hoping I would decorate a few dummy cakes for her (they would be about 7 1/2" high. She was talking about me using royal icing to ice and decorate the cakes with, but I was so sick I fogot to ask when she would try to apply the design, b/c once the royal is dry, it's going to be a little impossible to get a frosting sheet to adhere to royal, I would think. I'm not all that familiar with what it is she's wanting to do. Not that you'd know it from my photo gallery (lots of old photos), but I could certainly decorate a 3-tier dummy cake for her, no problem. Just not sure what she needs me to do when it comes to her frosting sheets and all. Help!

10 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 11

do you think if you mist the cake with water that the image will stick????

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 11

I've attached images to fondant using water I don't see why not ... if not clear vanilla might work too

Calejo Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 11

I've done that on BC, but I worry about doing that on royal, because it's so different. With BC, the BC soaks some of the water in, but with royal, not so much. I'm also concerned that the water might start breaking the royal down. I've decorated with royal before, but never actually tried to ice a cake with it. also concerned the water would go on misted but start beading (with a hard shell like royal) and might ruin the image.

Calejo Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 11

Just bumping up again.

Calejo Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 11

I'm not sure I should even take this on. She sounds pretty unsure of what she wants to do and all. And I have NO idea what to charge for labor. I just told her 9.50/hr. This is just too much of a headache right now with 3 kids, a part-time job and a teaching job on the side. On the other hand though, it could be a good oppurtunity for me. I need input. Please help.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 11

try pm antonia74 she is a cookie expert she works with royal icing alot .. sorry I wish I could help

Calejo Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 11

thank you anyway. I definately need some help from someone who's done something similar to this before.

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 11

Are you talking about the edible paper that you can print images on? Ive done that on iced cookies with royal icing. You peel them from the backing sheet when theyre dry and then cut them to size (If they are irregularly shaped). Then you dip a flat paint brush in water and squeeze out the excess and brush the surface to get it a little wet then you stick the image and blot it with a paper towel or your fingers to stick the image. The problem I had is the ink on the image kinda ran cos of the water but thats because the climate is tropical where i live but i imagine it will work ain a cool dry environment. Another suggestion...use eggwhite instead of water...less chance of using too much and it sticks images perfectly...i just dont use that on cookies cos of salmonella but since its a dummy cake...why not. Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 11

Could you use piping gel to attach it? Sorry, I haven't used the frosting sheets yet.

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:06am
post #11 of 11

I haven't tried piping gel yet. That could work but on a dummy cake you would need something that dries up eventually so that the image is totally secured to the surface and i am not sure if piping gel completely dries up like water or eggwhite would. If you do try it with piping gel...please let me know! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%