Is A Baby Shower...

Decorating By Housemouse Updated 28 Mar 2007 , 1:29pm by awolf24

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 12

the same as a naming ceremony or christening? or is it a party for a mum-to-be?

11 replies
mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 12

A baby shower is typically held for the mom-to-be before the baby is born. It usually involves silly party game, cake, and gifts for the new baby.

Hope that helps. icon_biggrin.gif

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 12

Naming ceremony is a Jewish ceremony for the birth of a girl AFTER she is born. Christening/Baptism is for Christians, boy or girl, AFTER they are born. A baby shower is for Christians BEFORE they have their baby. Some people of jewish faith do not believe in baby showers before the baby is born as it is seen as bad luck. They prefer to wait until after. HTH

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 12

I need to change my post from above to state that a baby shower is NOT just for Christians. A shower isn't a religious ceremony. When I reread my post I didn't want to be confusing to you. I just wanted to clarify the Jewish outlook on showers that some have. Sorry.

Housemouse Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for your answers. I must admit I was pretty sure showers were held in anticipation of the event - but was flummoxed because I could not see a gallery area for nameday/christening cakes. I have looked several times but must just be having a truly dense day. Likewise, when I came to look for a gallery to post a 'leaving work' cake - assumed it should go in the 'retirement' gallery as that was the closest. It's been one of those days...

Added: please do point me in the right direction!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 12

and typically the showers are held for the first baby, not every baby someone has - it is a way to give the couple the basics they need to start out with. Kind of like only having a bridal shower for the first wedding.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 12

"leaving work cake" Humm... as in retiring? If you mean changing jobs or becoming SAHM or going back to school, those are not usually celebrated with a cake. You might get taken out lunch or for a drink after work, but it isn't usually a cake type of thing.

Concerning christening cakes, check out Baptism cakes under religious.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 12

Our family gives baby showers for every baby to welcome it into the world and to make the mommy feel special. I myself had 4 LOL

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorioustwelfth

Thanks for your answers. I must admit I was pretty sure showers were held in anticipation of the event - but was flummoxed because I could not see a gallery area for nameday/christening cakes. I have looked several times but must just be having a truly dense day. Likewise, when I came to look for a gallery to post a 'leaving work' cake - assumed it should go in the 'retirement' gallery as that was the closest. It's been one of those days...

Added: please do point me in the right direction!

Try searching in the cake gallery under "baptismal" and other variations of the word.

Housemouse Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 7:42am
post #10 of 12

Baptismal!!!! It had to be that obvious didn't it, but I still couldn't find it. I thought it was unlikely you didn't have a section - jus so focussed on 'christening' didn't think laterally..

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 1:20pm
post #11 of 12

Try looking in First Communion cakes; the themes are similiar:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_thumb_21.html

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 12

try just "baptism" also

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%