Mm Fondant In A Black And White Checkedpattern...suggestions

Decorating By cordy Updated 8 Mar 2006 , 4:00pm by fytar

cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a two-tiered, racing checkered flag inspired birthday cake for my brother in law's 30th birthday. I am pretty deft with all the aspects of this cake as far as stacking and fondant making etc, I am just very concerned about the black. Unfortunatly the only product I have is Wilton black and I have no time to get another brand... I am torn between trying to paint on the black squares or making black mmf. Any tricks to making a good solid black mmf? Thanks so much for any input.

10 replies
ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 11

I've made a very dark black MMF using Wilton before. No problem with it. It did not bleed, and the color was nice and dark and shiny. I used a whole bunch of it. Didn't think to wear latex gloves while kneading it and had pretty yucky nails for a day or so.

I'm attaching a pic to show you my black MMF on a buttercream cake. And by the way, the reception hall people put the cake in the fridge for a few hours and it didn't change the appearance. Though my super heavy bottom layer did settle a lot during transportation. I was worried about that little bulge/seam around the middle. But the bday guy didn't even notice.
LL

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 11

You could try making chocolate MMF first, and then kneading in the black coloring. That trick works with buttercream, so I don't see why it wouldn't with MMF. But there are others here, I'm sure, who have made black MMF before and may have better suggestions for you. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 11

Can you try the tiny square sponge stamps that Wilton has and just stamp your black squares on? I assume you would use either thinned bc or royal. Me personally, I would use thinned royal because it takes black very well. I don't know, just thinking here.

fytar Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 11

Can you try the tiny square sponge stamps that Wilton has and just stamp your black squares on? I assume you would use either thinned bc or royal. Me personally, I would use thinned royal because it takes black very well. I don't know, just thinking here.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 11

I find it a lot easier to get the mmf black if you mix in a good portion of the black coloring into the melted marshmallows before you addd the powdered sugar....then once the sugar is all mixed in add some more until it gets about as dark as it looks like it's going to get (may look like a really dark purple or gray) then let it sit for like an hour.....come back and it should be pretty darn black....good luck!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 11

I find it a lot easier to get the mmf black if you mix in a good portion of the black coloring into the melted marshmallows before you addd the powdered sugar....then once the sugar is all mixed in add some more until it gets about as dark as it looks like it's going to get (may look like a really dark purple or gray) then let it sit for like an hour.....come back and it should be pretty darn black....good luck!!!

cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 11

I was actually going to do this; add the color before the sugar, but my friend said it might affect the consistancy later on, but I figured that by adding it before the sugar this wouldn't be a problem. She has had problems with consistancy with mmf before while using gel colors added while she was kneading... anyway the advice is cool and the Mickey cakes were great, I am not afraid to make black fondant now YEA!

fytar Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 11

I have to add this - Americolor is what I used in my keyboard cake. I got the deepest black mmf with it and it was very easy to achieve. I didn't color my fondant brown or use cocoa first. I needed it into the fondant but I also used my hands and not my mixer. Now I use my mixer for mmf and it is so much easier. I would definately try the color in the melted marshmallows before adding the sugar next time!

fytar Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 11

I have to add this - Americolor is what I used in my keyboard cake. I got the deepest black mmf with it and it was very easy to achieve. I didn't color my fondant brown or use cocoa first. I kneaded it into the fondant but I also used my hands and not my mixer. Now I use my mixer for mmf and it is so much easier. I would definately try the color in the melted marshmallows before adding the sugar next time!

fytar Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 11

I have to add this - Americolor is what I used in my keyboard cake. I got the deepest black mmf with it and it was very easy to achieve. I didn't color my fondant brown or use cocoa first. I kneaded it into the fondant but I also used my hands and not my mixer. Now I use my mixer for mmf and it is so much easier. I would definately try the color in the melted marshmallows before adding the sugar next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%