Royal Flowers With Buttercream??

Decorating By Sahmlock Updated 27 Apr 2005 , 2:02pm by LAA

Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 11

Can you put royal icing flowers on a buttercream cake? Or do you have to ice the cake in royal icing too? I am getting confused and I feel too stupid to ask that question in class....
thanks

10 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 11

Oh yes.....after several days the royal icing flowers will start getting soft but it is certainly ok to put royal icing flowers on a buttercream icing.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 11

I am sure it would not be a stupid question to ask...perhaps others are wondering the same thing and they wont ask either... but I have seen just about anykind of flower put on anykind of cake..... your imagination is the only limitation!

Jennkrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennkrem Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 11

I have also done royal flowers in buttercream and just froze them for a few minutes. Works great.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 11

I just found this today, so I'm a day or so behind...the royal icing flowers should be made a couple days ahead to make sure that they are completely dry first before putting them on the buttercream icing.
If you make royal icing flowers and put them directly on a cake iced with buttercream without letting them dry first, they will liquify into a puddle, or run down from wherever they are on the cake...been there, done that!

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:00am
post #6 of 11

HI there.. I asked this same question when I was in the second Wilton course, so don't feel silly.

Yeah, you can put the royal flowers on the buttercream cake, but make sure they are thoroughly dried first and don't put them on the cake too soon - not more than a day before you have to deliver it or want to serve it because they will get softer over time and with higher heat they can melt.

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 11

this is all good info to know.... thanks for asking and for answering!! icon_smile.gif

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 11

I think that royal icing just tastes gross and often feel the need to explain to people that the flowers are edible but really are for decoration only. Am I the only one who feels this way? If not, please give me a suggestion to give the royal icing a better taste.

Lisa

CakesbyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKimmie Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 11

I always use royal icing flowers. It is a big time saver. I make them about a week ahead of time and then just put them on my BC frosted cake.

Here is a tip to make them taste better, I use Pineapple extract to flavor them. It makes the flowers taste kinda like those candy buttons that come on a paper strip that I used to eat when I was a kid. Any flavoring would work out as well.

Also, I wouldnt recomend frosting a cake in royal icing. I would imagine that it would harden fast. I have never tried though. I will stick to BC icon_smile.gif

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 11

Well, as it turns out, after sitting on a buttercream frosting cake for a day or two, the royal icing flowers soften up enough to be pretty good on the cakes. icon_smile.gif I have royal icing flowers on a chocolate fudge icing - made with butter, not shortening. At first they were too hard, but now, two days later, I am enjoying them along with the rest of the icing. I bet flavoring the royal would help, too. I'm going to try that next time.

~AngelWendy

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 2:02pm
post #11 of 11

THANKS!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%