Yikes...how Do I Make A Dummy Cake "keep"?

Business By Sugarbean Updated 10 Oct 2006 , 12:19pm by lisap

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 21

I got an order for a dummy cake. She wants to use it in pictures (she owns a photography studio). How can I make it "keep". I thought of covering it with spray varethane do you think that would work?

Yikes, what did I get myself into!

20 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 21

Well...... I know some people use plaster as the icing then you just have to dust it.

Kimmiekinkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmiekinkins Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 21

When I have needed a dummy cake - I use styrofoam for the cake and ice it in royal icing. In order to get it smooth I use fine sandpaper. Everything is done in icing which makes it last.

Kim

Sugarbean Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 21

Hum...I would be scared that the royal might crack. This has to be able to stand up to handling.

icon_smile.gif

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 21

We used this recipe in a class. I still have my class cake, although color has faded, it looks as good as they day I did it (dries hard):

2# Crisco
3/4 + ? cup of water
5# sugar

Additional water may need to be added for a workable consistency.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 12:24am
post #6 of 21

There is something called Perma Ice. This is used for dummie cakes that will be on display for a long time. This stuff is NOT EDIBLE!!!!!

I have never used it but ran across the site for it a while ago.

http://www.bakingshop.com/cakes/permaice.htm

Amy

Sugarbean Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 21

I think I figured out what to do. I'm going to cover styro with fondant. But then I'm going to use this thin foam craft stuff that I have. It basically looks like foam paper. And it looks alot like fondant.

Then I think it would be more durable, and stand up to moving it alot.

Thanks for all the help guys!

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 21

I have had dummy cakes covered in fondant that have lasted a couple of years - very durable - just have to keep it out of the dust

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

There is something called Perma Ice. This is used for dummie cakes that will be on display for a long time. This stuff is NOT EDIBLE!!!!!

I have never used it but ran across the site for it a while ago.

http://www.bakingshop.com/cakes/permaice.htm

Amy

Personally I think that Perma Ice is a fabulous idea icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 21

All of our dummy cakes are covered in fondant (we do have some covered in BC, but they just sit in our shop).

I've never worked with Perma-Ice, but I'm definitely intrigued. So please keep us posted if you go that way.

-Suz

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 13 Mar 2006 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 21

royal icing and fondant will last for years... I have a sugar egg my sister made 15 years ago and still looks great to this day... A local cake shops has lots of display and most of them are rolled fondant.... and gumpaste flowers they hold up for many years.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 1:52am
post #12 of 21

for the dummy cakes that are styrofoam w/rolled fondant,are they frosted 1st w/bc so the fondant doesn't slide

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 12:54am
post #13 of 21

Nicksmom, I was wondering the same thing? I'm entering a cake contest and plan to decorate the dummy cakes in fondant.

Bakers2 and Golfgirl227, is it best to use buttercream first then put on fondant on the styrofoam? Should I sand the styrofoam first?

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 4:17pm
post #14 of 21

Just did a dummie cake and used piping gel first (advice from wilton instructor) using a paint brush to cover the dummie and then covered in fondant. I'd be nervous about using a buttercream underneath if I wanted to keep it around awhile. The "cake" has been sitting in my kitchen for over a week now and looks awesome! My instructor said it would last for years!

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 21

I've never done a dummy cake as well, but I need to do one here soon. Have only used piping gel for stringing and lettering, but was wondering, if brushed on styrofoam, it must have adhering quality when fondant is in place?

Another question, for the buttercream effect, do I apply royal icing directly onto the foam?

I think a how-to should be published in the articles section.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 1:24am
post #16 of 21

OK, everyone will think I'm infested with bugs, but... wouldn't you worry about ants?

My entire neighborhood is right on the edge of a little wooded park and ALL of us have had problems with ants every year. I have banished them from the kitchen and have been mostly successful because I put all foods away that lures them, because all it takes is one roving ant to bring in a long, steady line. So, wouldn't they be drawn to the sugar icing?

Melissa

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 1:32am
post #17 of 21

I was wondering the same thing about ants.............

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 1:41am
post #18 of 21

I was wanting to know if anyone has made the dummy cakes and have pics of them. Also, what combination did use.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 1:56am
post #19 of 21

The royal icing dries so hard....it's not even close to being edible. Also, it doesn't smell like anything or taste like anything. I've had dummy cakes in my shop for 1 1/2 years and never had a problem....and I live in Texas.

You can use any combination for the tiers. I have one that is 14", 10", 8" another that is 10", 8", and another two that are 10". I make them in the sizes I prefer to sell so I can show the customer.

Also, when I cover a dummy in fondant I just wet the styrofoam under the sink, shake off the excess water, and the fondant adhears perfectly to the foam.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 2:38am
post #20 of 21

i have some wedding cake dummies in my window that have been there for years.

believe it or not the are made of styrofoam and plain buttercream.

every once in a while a little kid will take a bite...i always say "thats not gonna taste good!"

the last lil kid said "yes it does!" HA HA

i would have never thought of it....but i worked in several bakeries and they did thier dummies this way too.....

ya gotta let them sit awhile to harden.

lisap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisap Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:19pm
post #21 of 21

I just did two dummy cakes for a bridal show. I used styrofoam cake dummies. For one, I sprayed it with water out of a spray bottle and then covered it with fondant. It adhered to the styrofoam really well...no air bubbles or anything. I was going to use spackle on the other one but I had a terrible time with it. It was messy and got everywhere and I couldn't get it anywhere near smooth enough. So I covered it with royal icing and let it dry. I did have trouble getting the royal icing smooth. I just read on here about using fine sandpaper. That would definitely have helped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%