Chocolate Clay

Sugar Work By jouj Updated 21 Apr 2007 , 12:11am by bkdcakes

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I read in the recipe section that the chocolate clay is made of Chocolate and Corn syrup. I couldn't find corn syrup anywhere because where I live a lot of things "Disappear" off the shelves!! Is there anything I can use instead? Can I use Pancake Syrup instead of the corn syrup? Thanks a lot.

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 5

Don't know if where you live is a factor in not finding corn syrup.

But you can use glucose or Lyles' Golden Syrup.

Or molasses:

http://www.ochef.com/515.htm

HTH

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 5

corn syrup is a thick, sweet syrup that's popular in America, but hard to find in other countries. Unlike other sweeteners, corn syrup doesn't crystallize and turn grainy when it's cold, so it's a good choice for frostings, fudge sauces, and candies. Baked goods made with corn syrup are moister and stay fresher longer than those made with sugar. There are two types: dark corn syrup is dark brown and has a slight molasses flavor, while light corn syrup is almost clear and has a more delicate flavor. The two can be used interchangeably in many recipes. Karo is a well-known brand. Store corn syrup at room temperature. Substitutes: golden syrup (Substitute measure for measure) OR honey (This is sweeter than corn syrup, but substitute it measure for measure.) OR molasses (Substitute measure for measure.)

http://www.foodsubs.com/Syrups.html

HTH!

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks mizshelli, I know what corn syrup is, I use it in many recipes, but unfortunately where I live, you find something in the supermarket, then a week later it's all finished and you have to wait for maybe 6 months for them to bring it again! Anyway, I already bought the corn syrup, and it's Karo brand.
Thanks anyway for your suggestions in case I don't find it again.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:11am
post #5 of 5

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! icon_surprised.gif Chocolate & molasses!?! Why didn't I think of that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%