12"x18"x2" How Many Party Servings?

Decorating By bulldog Updated 7 Mar 2006 , 6:50pm by Kellie1583

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 8

According to the Wilton Party Serving Chart a 2-Layer 12"x18"x2" cake serves 72, so does a single layer serve approx. 36? That # seems small to me. Help....

Thanks.

7 replies
Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 8

Bulldog,

that's the way I understand it to be. I always cut the number in half If it is a single layer.

bulldog Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Sherry0565! Does anyone have a different amount they would like to share? I am writing up descriptions of my cakes which includes servings, and I want to be as accurate as possible.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 8

My charts say that a single layer 12x18 cake feed 54. And I'd say that is pretty acurrate. I've made them before 4" high and it fed over 100. So I'd say the single would feed 54. Those are based on 2x2x2 pieces. So if you want bigger pieces scale down.

icon_smile.gif

bulldog Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, you two!

OK, I have two very different answers, would someone else like to weigh in, so I can decide what to do?

bulldog Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 8

Anyone?????

dparrish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dparrish Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 8

You have gotten some good advice, but I wanted to give you my opinion because I feel like the Wilton serving sizes are small.

I ran into a problem with the number of servings before but with a 11x15 sheet cake. The Wilton site said it would serve 60 party size servings, that is what I was quoting to people. The paper that came in the pan said 80 some servings which confused me, but I thought that must be wedding size servings. I really didn't think about that until this particular order because she asked me to score the cake and put a rosebud on each piece which made me realize how small those pieces would have been. I frantically had to bake another cake. I now divide that size cake into 35 servings. The other day I was looking at a brochere from a local bakery and that is the number of servings they use for an 11x15 cake also.

My advice would be to just do the math and come up with something you are happy with. For me a 1.5x2 inch piece of cake or even a 2x2 inch piece of cake is small even with two layers so I adapted it to what I am comfortable with selling. I am not saying anyone else it wrong by any means, I just wanted to tell you my experience so you didn't have to frantically bake and decorate like I did!

However, if you go to the following link it tells you how to cut a sheet cake to get the number of servings Wilton says.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/partycuttingguide.cfm

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 8

I have a quick press cake divider. Because it divides the cakes into 2X2 pieces I use it as my guide. It says that a 12X18 serves 54, a 12X16 serves 48, a 12X12 does 36, a 10X10 does 25, an 8X8 does 16 and a 6X6 does 9. I can usually get a 9X13 into 2o pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%