How Do I Create Nice Looking Screws

Decorating By Biebelenyip Updated 9 Mar 2006 , 7:38pm by SHenyd

Biebelenyip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biebelenyip Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 9

Heelp!
I promised dad a good looking cake. Found one at charmcitycakes, but it needs screws around the cakes. And whatever I've tried in the past two days, it keeps on looking like "an organic lifeform" rather than something usefull in a toolbox. (thanks for the comment DH!) icon_redface.gif
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make them look more like screws?
Thanks in advance!

8 replies
bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 9

OK, I just looked at the cake I think you are talking about. See if this makes sense: grey fondant or mmf or whatever you use, roll a piece into a cylinder the size you want, then roll out a piece to cut out a hexagon for the top of screw, score the cylinder with a knife, then attcach the top with some water. Does that make sense?

Biebelenyip Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 9

Yeah! thumbs_up.gif Thanks bulldog for your quick response! A cylinder might do the trick for me. (and get rid of the organic life forms). I go searching trough my kid's toys now to see if they have any! If not - there's one suggestion for mothersday! Then I definitely need the Wilton starters kit icon_smile.gif

bulldog Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 9

No problem! I'm sure you will do a great job. Be sure to post a picture. Have a fun day icon_biggrin.gif

Biebelenyip Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 9

I've posted a picture on the gallery. But the detailed pictures (so you can see how they've turned out) I attached another picture. Thanks again for youre support!

Biebelenyip Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 9

I've posted a picture on the gallery. But the detailed pictures (so you can see how they've turned out) I attached another picture. Thanks again for youre support!

Biebelenyip Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 9

- oeps - forgot the picture icon_redface.gif
LL

bulldog Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 9

I think it looks fantastic! you really did a nice job. Be proud. thumbs_up.gif

SHenyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHenyd Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 9

It does look great! YOu could maybe use a clay gun to make a screw. It will make a nice long cylinder and then you could slice it as long as you want the screws. You can buy a clay gun at Michael's for about $10. They have a bunch of different insert for different shapes. I also saw a post where someone uses a clean playdoh toy also to make different shapes. You just have to add some Crisco to the fondant to make it soft enough to go through the hole.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%