What Are The Rules..about Cake Pictures

Business By parismom Updated 7 Mar 2006 , 4:37am by cakesondemand

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:35am
post #1 of 7

I know I saw this topic over the weekend but I cannot find it for the life of me. Anyway, what are the rules regarding showing pictures of cakes that are not yours to potential clients, as in showing them, "This is not my cake, it is the work of (name here) but I am capable of making a similar cake. Do you guys suggest I just make each and every cake I feel I am capable of making (yikes) just for the sake of a picture in the portfolio? Or is this ok, to use a cake as an example that is not yours. I'm not saying go around lying about what you have and have not made, I hope this isn't confusing.

6 replies
cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:43am
post #2 of 7

I have a portfolio with all the pics of cakes I made and a seperate binder of other cakes out of magazines and books. If there is something that someone wants and I don't have a pic to show them I will search and tell them where they can find it. I think as long as it isn't in you portfolio or web site it should be ok most brides already know what they want and bring a picture of what they want you to make. Were not all creative in being able to design something and we get inspired by seeing other pics. The other pics are just tools to help if someone saw somethig I made and wanted to use it go right ahead. Im interested to hear more an this as you are.

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 4:12am
post #3 of 7

Ok thanks, that makes alot of sense.

Anyone else have any input?

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 4:16am
post #4 of 7

I keep lots of pictures from magazines, books, etc. When I show them to somebody I just say, "I've never made this cake, but i think it would work really well for....." fill in the blank. Or something along those lines. I've never had anyone say anything about it. I wouldn't think anyone would have a problem with it.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 7

I too have a portfolio with my cakes but several books that we can look through together to decide on the right design. Usually they will bring a picture and ask if I can make it or when looking at a picture in a book ask if I can make it at that point my answer depends on whether or not I can do it.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with COD, we are not all creative and some of us (like me!) need inspiration, but I always say which cakes are my design and which aren't. When my customers pick thier cakes up I usually show them the pictures I used for inspiration.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 4:37am
post #7 of 7

Thanks discolady I was beginning to think I was the only one that needed the inspiration and I always say which are my designs and which aren't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%