Need Help With Pennys Cookie Recipe

Baking By aubrazacmom Updated 31 Mar 2007 , 1:57am by CraftyMJ

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 7

I've made this recipe for the last two cookie bouquets that I've made. I have had serious problems with it spreading?? Any advice?? I let the dough chill for 2-3hrs before rolling and cutting. I also had to add quite a bit of flour to my board and rolling pin so that it wouldn't stick. What am I doing wrong??? I really like the taste of the cookie but am getting frustrated as I have to make dozens of cookies to just get a few that haven't spread to look gigantic and out of proportion.

TIA

6 replies
tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmmm, I don't have a specific answer for you as to why it would be spreading. I've used the recipe several times and have had great results each time. I know with Penny's chilling is not necessary. Although I don't think chilling the dough would be a contributing factor to spreading. I roll my dough out between two sheets of parchment (others use wax paper as well). Perhaps the added flour from rolling it out is making it spread?

I know some other CC'ers can definitely shed some more light on the situation thumbs_up.gif

aubrazacmom Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 7

tayesmama - Thanks for the help, I will try rolling it out between parchment or wax paper and see if that makes a difference.

I've also been trying to do some researching in the forums (I'm very bad at it) and I did see where it says to not overbeat and maybe that is my problem because I cream the butter & sugar instead of just incorporating it.

Anyone else with any advice??

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 7

Try adding a small amount of flour like a couple of extra tablespoons. Is it humid there? Humidity may be part of the problem.

aubrazacmom Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 7

It's not humid right now - very dry. We don't get any humidity till about June when all the snow goes away icon_lol.gif I will try the extra flour also - I'm going to make some over the weekend.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:22am
post #6 of 7

Hello, sorry to interrupt this thread, but could one of you point me in the direction of Penny's cookie recipe. I did a search plus looked through sugar cookies and cookies and didn't see anything submitted by Penny.

Thanks for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

CraftyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyMJ Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #7 of 7

Just a thought - did u use unbleached flour?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%