Fillings/icings For Chocolate Cake

Baking By princess_tonya Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 10:21pm by denise2434

princess_tonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess_tonya Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 19

What is your favorite fillings and icings for chocolate cake??? There is a guy in my husbands shop that got into a bad car accident and I want to make him a get well cake. I want to make him chocolate cake, but I am at a loss for fillings and icings, I don't want it to be too chocolatey. Thanks for your help.

Tonya

18 replies
mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 19

Orange marmalade is good and you can put a little orange flavoring in your icing. You could do the same thing with rasberry or strawberry.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 19

peanut butter filling...there is a great recipe on CC. I've made it twice with my chocolate cake and have gotten rave reviews.

Nutella spread is also another good/easy option.

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 19

My fav is cookies-n-cream. I found the recipe here on CC. LOVE IT!!!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 19

Toba Garret's cream cheese buttercream is awesome w/ chocolate cake.

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 19

I'm a chocolate/chocolate girl, so I use my special mouse and have never had a complaint, people say it is to die for, I also do a chocolate cream cheese that turns out well, but people seem to prefer the mouse. HTH

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 19

What about a white chocolate raspberry gananche or a white chocolate strawberry ganache; they each go well with chocolate.

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 19

Sometimes I use a can of Cherry pie filling. This combo actually got me a marriage proposal! icon_lol.gif He was a little dissapointed that I was already married.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 19

I 2nd the cherry pie filling, my DH LOVES that combo.
I love raspberry, too.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 19

I like raspberry preserves with dark chocolate buttercream or fudge frosting. Grandmarnier ganache is also good with an orange buttercream frosting.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 19

White chocolate raspberry sounds really good or you could do a raspberry mousse.. but my fav is a good homemade bittersweet chocolate mousse and raspberry puree inside iced with bittersweet chocolate ganache. I put a small amount of mousee on the cacke then make an icing damn and fill with the raspberry puree and repeat with each layer (if you have more than two). Mmmmmmmmm.. mmmmm!!!!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 19

..bavarian filling is good with chocolate cakes too!

lsugraduate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsugraduate Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 19

I love coconut pecan like in german chocolate cakes!! Maybe a bourbon buttercream with toasted pecans?

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 19

I made a filling last night for my chocolate cake: whipped cream (Pastry Pride) mixed with chopped up Snicker's candy bar. Oh, my!!!

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 19

Would white chocolate raspberry gananche use the same recipe if you wanted just regular chocolate? I know this sounds like a simple question, but I'm new to baking. LOL, I've been doing it for about 3 months; I'm thinkin my excuse about being new is going to run out shortly.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 19

I like the Peanut Butter Cup filling recipe I posted but my favorite is Kahlua Bavarian cream filling made with Pastry Pride
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2316-Peant-Butter-Cup-Filling.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2396-Bavarian-Cream-Filling.html

Either one in a chocolate cake iced in Sarah Bernhardt chocolate glaze is so delicious.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2315-Sarah-Bernhardt-Chocolate-Glaze.html

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 19

I personally wouldn't use raspberry or orange unless you knew for sure the person likes those flavors. I like a chocolate raspberry combo, but know a lot of people who don't, as for orange and chocolate, YUCK! I can't stand it! jmo. Just something you might want to think about.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 9:03pm
post #18 of 19

Very true Booberfrog.. My DH doesn't really like raspberry and I LOVE it. I have been known to use an icing dam across the diameter of the cake and make 1/2 with raspberry and 1/2 without.. LOL. And I'm with you on the orange and chocolate.. thumbsdown.gif But that's just me..

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 10:21pm
post #19 of 19

I love, love, love Nutella as a filling in a chocolate cake!! YUMMY!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I'm not a chocolate and orange fan either, but raspberry is good!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%