How Long Can A Cake Be Outside On A Warm Day

Decorating By mamaknozbest Updated 6 Mar 2006 , 12:56am by kaecakes

mamaknozbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaknozbest Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 1:47am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a wedding cake where the reception will be outside. They are pretty much insisting because of location, that the cake cannot be kept inside until serving time. But they can keep it in the shade.

I haven't done a cake for an outside reception before. Can anyone tell me, if the cake is in the shade, but the temperature is warm.... how long can it be outside before disaster strikes? (this will be in July in the mid-west)

Thanks!

6 replies
ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:01am
post #2 of 7

Bump. In the weather in Northen CA in July can be in the 70's
I have no advice for midwest. I am sure someone can help you
M

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:11am
post #3 of 7

Well, I'm in Texas and know what cakes outside in July can be like!!
The most important thing though is what type of cake?? You won't be able to do any perishable ingredients. Also, what type of frosting will you be making?? With heat and humidity, sometimes an all shortening BC is the best route to go. You mentioned the 70s though, you may not have to worry as much about the BC.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 2:11am
post #4 of 7

It will depend on the icing that you use , also if you fill it that can make a difference also. Do not use a stablized whip cream icing it will be in a puddle, ( believe me). you need a stable icing or fondant something that won't soften to much, a crusting buttercream should work well and I would think you could leave it in the shade for a couple of hours anyway. Don't use a cream type filling, maybe a fruit or jam would do. Hope this helps.

mamaknozbest Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 7

The cake will be covered with a marshmallow fondant. I think the cake itself is going to be a standard white cake. I'm not sure yet what I will use under the fondant or for a filling. Any suggestions?

Would it be better not to use an icing for the filling, and to use a jam or something like that instead?

Thanks!

mamaknozbest Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 7

OOPS... forgot to also mention that the high temps in july here are usually in the 80s or 90s. The wedding will be in the evening, so temps could be a little lower by then (but it will not be dark).

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 12:56am
post #7 of 7

I would think the jam would be just fine. you could use a glace on the cake before the fondant as the British do. I hope this hlps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%