What The Heck? The Same Thing Is Happening To The Round One

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 4:27pm by JulieB

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #1 of 18

I just posted about the square cake with the sides coming off in the new Magic Line pans.

Here's the round one I just baked and flipped onto the cooling rack.

What the heck is going on? It seems to be only the sides.

Don't tell me I have to go buy Wilton baking strips to put around my Magic Line pans in order to make them work properly? I was better off with the "crappy" Wilton pans.

I am about to throw both cakes right out the window. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
LL

17 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:16am
post #2 of 18

I have Magic Line pans and don't have that problem.

I do take a flat spatula and run it around the sides of the cake pan before I flip them over, just to make sure everything is loosened.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #3 of 18

Dont throw them. How did you want to decorate them, should be ok if you put a good coating of buttercream on them and smooth. I sometimes have that happening, usually if I take them out of the pan too early. How long did you let them rest after taking them out of the oven? 10-15 Minutes is what I have the best experience with

carries_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carries_creations Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:32am
post #4 of 18

I had the same exact thing happening to all of my cakes that I did in wilton pans. I started using "baker's joy" spray all over the pan (it's oil spray with flour) and now my cakes are coming out perfectly. Keep trying!! icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:17am
post #5 of 18

I really don't know for sure, but I have always been told that you never use any fat that contains salt to grease a cake pan. Margarine and salted butter will cause sticking. I use either home-made pan release or Baker's Joy in addition to parchment on the bottom and don't have this problem with Magic Line, Wilton, or any other pan. Is it possible that there is a residue on the new pans - maybe a coating from shipping or something? Try cleaning the pans well, then use the Baker's Joy and parchment next time. I think you can use Toba Garrett's method of mixing cake crumbs and frosting to make a "spackle" that will patch your layers nicely. The boo-boos will not show in the finished product if spackled and cooled before the final frosting. So sorry this is happening....

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:25am
post #6 of 18

I use only magic line pans. I coat them with a thin--Thin coat of grease. The thicker the more gummy it gets on the sides. Also I wait about five to seven minutes to turn my cakes out.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:33am
post #7 of 18

projectqueen: icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I saw your earlier post with the square pan - and now this one! I know your about sick of this!!!
When I saw the square one my first thought was "... wonder if she let it cool down long enough before turning it out of the pan?"
I've never used Baker's Joy so can't comment on that one. I use Pam with Flour and Wilton's Cake Release and have never had that happen on the sides of the cakes.
I'm sure you wait to cool them down before turning them out. What a nightmare!!! Do you use a pastry brush or paper towel when you grease your pans? How strange?

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:33am
post #8 of 18

I would also suggest Baker's Joy! I have never had a cake fall apart and you can leave the cakes in the pan for hours and they will still come out perfectly! I have never looked back! Don't give up!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:01am
post #9 of 18

I am having the same problem, only with the white cakes, and the larger cake pans, 12" or larger. Every time I do a large cake I hold my breath and pray, but it still happens. I have tried every method, pam, greasing and flour, then someone said just grease, no flour, tried that and still there is alway one area that sticks. I have waited 10 minutes, run a knife around the cake many times, still happens. I even tried a 16" and put it directly into the freezer and froze it, and it still happened when I turned it out. I line with parchment or wax paper every time. I am getting so frustrated that I hate baking these large cakes, and I love baking, but this is really getting to me. I have wasted so much cake, its driving me nuts. It is usually not so bad that I can't make it work, but sometimes the whole sides have come off.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:29am
post #10 of 18

I do want to say that your cake has a beautiful, even golden color though! thumbs_up.gif

Much as you hate the idea of getting baking strips, you might try it. I notice the parts are right in the middle of the pan .... where the strips would be and that may help even out the heat.

I use magic line pans AND baking strips. I prefer the magic line because the sides are more straight up and down whereas wilton's tend to angle out. But I still use the strips to even out the temperature.

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:43am
post #11 of 18

When I first got my Magic Line pans I was having a similar problem. I don't know if they get "seasoned" as you use them or if the problem stopped because I started using a quick release recipe on the pan.

I mix up a batch and used it every time I bake. You can keep this in the pantry in a sealed container. The recipe is:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup crisco (I use butter flavored)
1/3 cup oil

I use a pastry brush to coat the pan. You can turn the cake out of the pan to cool on a wire rack or cool completely in the pan. If you cool it completely just dip the bottom of the pan in hot water for a minute or so before removing the cake.

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #12 of 18

And don't throw it out...MAKE CAKE BALLS!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 18

I use Magic Line and haven't had any problems at all...not even the first few times I've used them. I am a traditional Crisco/Flour girl. I use a LOT of Crisco on the pan and then lightly flour. I let it sit no more than 10 minutes before turning out. I don't have to run a knife or spatula around the edge. Nothing. They just plop out.

The only time I've ever had any trouble at all is when I tried the homemade pan coating of Crisco/oil/flour. That did not work at all for me.

So, it appears it's like lots of things....your mileage may vary.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:26pm
post #14 of 18

This is all GREAT information for someone that is about to buy some Magic Line Pans! THANKS! thumbs_up.gif

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 18

I use the Crisco / Flour method as well. If my cakes come out that way, and sometimes they do, I usually carve a thin line around the cake so that it's smooth all the way around.

Don't toss it though! There are other ways like the previous posters have mentioned.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:31pm
post #16 of 18

I actually use Pam with flour...just a tad bit more expensive than Baker's Joy (depending on where you get it, if you can find it) but it doesn't make me hack uncontrollably when I use it. I don't know what it is about Baker's Joy but no matter how I turn my head, it just kills me. Also Melz's method is really good too (especially if you don't want to shell out the cheese for Wilton's pan release). This method works really well also. Never had a problem with either. Time savers and less messy to me...my opinion of course icon_smile.gif

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks, everyone thumbs_up.gif

It's comforting to know I'm not alone in these disasters.

I just wrapped everything in foil last night and will take a fresh look at it later today. Sometimes you just have to walk away, LOL.

I'll keep trying, thanks for the encouragement!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 18

Don't throw it out. Icing will cover that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%