Mmf / Gum Paste

Decorating By sofiasmami Updated 4 Mar 2006 , 4:09pm by ladyonzlake

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 11

Today I'm going to be making this cake .... I hate the tase of Wilton fondant but I do find it easier to work with than MMF .... my question is can I add gum paste to MMF to make it easier to work with? .... what can I do to make the mmf dry faster ... I find that when I cut small pieces they are hard to handle vs when I do that with the wilton fondant.... any suggestions?
LL

10 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 11

That's a great looking cake! I've used MMF and added gumpaste to it. I found it very easy to work with.
Jacqui

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 11

I would use gumpaste for the flowers on that cake.

I would use another fondant. Either buy another brand or make it from scratch.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 11

Since you won't be eating the flowers and you find Wilton easier to work with, then use the Wilton. Either add gumpaste to it or gumtex. You could use straight gum paste. I tend to be able to get thinner layers with all gumpaste. Pretty cake!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 11

I've been using MMF and gumpaste mixture this week to do all my ducks (they are posted in the 3d figures gallery) and I've been really happy with it. Easy to mold and dries pretty quickly.

cmarkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmarkins Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 11

When mixing gumpaste and fondant, do you combine 1/2 and 1/2 or use a different ratio?

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 11

If was doing really thin or intricate designs, I'd probably do at least half and half. For my ducks, I just took a wad, but it probably came out to about 75% fondant and 25% gumpaste. I had never done it before, so I was just winging it. Hell, winging it is my middle name.

ladyonzlake Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 11

OOps, actually what I do is add Gum-Tex to my MMF which creates a gum paste. It works wonderfully!
Jacqui

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 11

I have a little pack of gum paste that came with my wilton kit ...I would imagine it has no more than a few spoonfulls ... how do I use it? btw .. I'm only using it for the stripes ..the top will be real flowers

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 11

Are you going to take the stripes off when you go to serve the cake? If not, then don't add anything to the fondant, just ice the cake and put the strips on while the icing is still "wet". They should stick fine. I don't see any reason to add anything to the fondant if it's just going to stick to the side of the cake. At least that's what I would do.

ladyonzlake Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 11

If it's Gum-Tex that came with our Wilton kit, it doesn't take much. It's 1 tsp per 12oz package.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%