How Soon Can You Make ...........

Decorating By lv2bake Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 5:10pm by NewbeeBaker

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 7

decorations out of fondant? I need to make 48 cupcakes and have to make rolling pins, wooden spoons, oven mitts etc. out of fondant, I can't find these items in stores. I was wondering because I have tons to make how early can I make them? I don't think she would want to eat them, but I would love to have these made up before the cupcakes are made, these are due April 14th. HELP!
Darlene

6 replies
angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 7

I've made fondant decorations weeks ahead of time and they were fine. They don't spoil, but they may fade and get hard if you keep them by sunlight.

Good Luck!
Angie

bakesweet06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakesweet06 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Darlene, those little items are a very common decoration for Mexican bridal showers, the reason I tell you this is, and depending on where you are you might be able to find them in a Latin and or Mexican item store. Hope this helps. As for fondant it dries up in about 3-4 days at least that is my experience.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 7

That sounds really cute!!! I imagine I would start a fortnight before. I don't see a problem with eating them either.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 7

They will be fine made weeks in advance! You can start now if you want. Once they are made, let them dry in the open air for a day or two and then store in containers until needed. I always have little fondant flowers ready for cupcake cakes etc - I have some that I made around Christmas time and they are still fine. Good luck!

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much, how do you ladies get the colors you want? do you just mix it in or do you paint it on, someone was telling me about edible paints?

Darlene

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 7

I have made fondant pieces weeks ahead of time and stored them in a shoebox, just setting them on a piece of waxed paper. For colors, I usually color the the fondant with gel colors by kneading it in. But, you can take the gel colors and paint with them too. Some paint the straight color and some paint with the gel colors mixed with alcohol(vodka, or even lemon extract). I have seen pieces painted with petal dusts and vodka, and they were real pretty=) Not sure if that is what you meant with "edible paints". If not, this will bring your post up to the top and someone else can answer it=) HTH some, Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%