Storing White Chocolate Help!!!

Decorating By Jessicafulbright Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 4:39pm by milal

Jessicafulbright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicafulbright Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:23am
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake for easter, which is about two weeks away, I am making a white chocolate topper, a cross made of chocolate, can I make it ahead of time? How do I store it?

7 replies
calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:43am
post #2 of 8

I am sure it would be fine making now. Personally I would store in fridge or freezer but I live in Florida and I have teens.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:22am
post #3 of 8

Think about how far in advance candy companies make their Easter treats. They are on the shelves the day after Valentines Day. So keeping these for a few weeks is not going to affect them.

Sumkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumkat Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:38am
post #4 of 8

I would wrap it up very well and keep in in the freezer or, if it's not to warm in your house and there is no reason keeping it out on the counter isn't okay (like children) then you may want to leave it out. If you put it in the fridge it will absorb the flavors of the foods in your fridge. If you don't plan on eating it that might be okay. I wish I had a better answer for you.

hhhhhh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hhhhhh Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:04am
post #5 of 8

i wouldnt put it i n the frezzer ... when it comes out and it sweets it might mess it up and could make it glossy

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:48am
post #6 of 8

I have been making candy suckers for about 2 years now....I have had them in the fridge for as long as 3 weeks or longer they were just fine, BUT....I did have then wrap in sucker bags and then place in ziplock bags.

Last year I made them 15 days before Christmas, I had them in sucker bags in a basket to give to family and friends when they came to visit. We were still eating any that were left a week later and they were still good.

So I think yours would be just fine if you made it 2 weeks early....as far as the freezer, sorry I am no help there, I have never try it.

I hope this helps.

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:45am
post #7 of 8

I just bought this book called 'candy making for dummies' I know, I know, but its a great book and everything is really well explained!! Anyway the author has apparently been making candy etc.. for 30 or so years and he runs a candy shop, so he would know what he is talking about.

With the chocolate products, he says if you need to refrigerate or freeze them, freeze it. If you refrigerate, you can get odours and the chocolate can get condensation on it. I know one of the above posters said they have refrigerated it fine though, so it might work for you.

Anyway, apparently when you freeze it, you wrap it really tightly and in many layers etc.. and you can freeze for quite a while (I can't remember how long he said, but it would be way longer than you need). The thing is, when you take it out of the freezer, leave it wrapped up until completely defrosted, otherwise you will get condensation, which leaves those yukky white/matt spots on the chocolate.

So hopefully this helps, and if you ever want to get into all sorts of candy making, that is the book to get!!!! thumbs_up.gif

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 8

You are definetly safe to make them now. I put them in the refridgerator wrapped very well and have no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%