Not Sure How To Price Wedding Cake

Business By bfisher11 Updated 2 Mar 2006 , 6:18pm by bfisher11

bfisher11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfisher11 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I have been doing cakes on the side out of my home for about 6 years now. Usually for family. Now my sister-in-law asked me to do a wedding cake for one of her friends. She wants it to look like the one I have attached, just different colored flowers. I charged my cousin $150 for this cake. Is this to much or not enough for a cake like this. Can anyone help me figure out a fair asking price for my wedding cakes???Each layer is 2 2"cakes?
LL

5 replies
cat121481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat121481 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 6

I think you undercharged!!! I don't know how much I would charge for that, but I know that it would be a lot more than $150.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 6

I would recommend charging be the slice on any wedding cake. Use the guides that Wilton sets for how many servings you get with each pan and set a price per slice... $1.50 is the cheapest you should go. Depending on where you live and how much detail, whether you place a filling in the center, whether you use fondant or just buttercream should be considered too. In my area grocery stores charge $1.50 and most decorators (those who don't own a bakery) charge about $2- $2.50 per slice. There are others that charge $4 or $5. I don't do many wedding cakes, but for my work I start at $1.75 per slice... this is mainly due to the fact that I don't have a lot of experience. If I really get into doing wedding cakes I will certainly charge more.

You can call decorators in your area and just ask what they charge per slice. They'll be used to that question and won't ever suspect that you are a competitor. Just tell them you're pricing cakes. icon_lol.gif

Most decorators around here don't count the slices for the anniversary cake, since it won't be served. You can account for this too when you're considering the overall cost per slice of the rest of the cake. This is at least the case where I live!

Good luck!

thumbs_up.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 6

How big are those tiers width wise? How many people is it supposed to serve?

When I do wedding cakes, I charge $2 minimun per slice. The first one I ever did, I charged a flat fee and I totally undercharged.

From the size of the cake--it looks to me like you undercharged. Also, remember that with squares you get more servings than rounds. That is a LOT of cake for $150--hopefully you will break even.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 6

I now get $3.25 per person. I agree with Wendy. Check all around your area. Then charge comparagle prices. Don't undercut yourself.

bfisher11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfisher11 Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 6

If I remember correctly the tiers started with a 14", 12", 10", and an 8"! Which where each two layers each. The cake cost me about $50 to make. Not counting the time it took me to get the supplies, make it and then deliver and set up the cake and table! I kinda thought I was shorting myself, but it was for my cousin, and it was good experience I guess! Thank You everyone for your replies, they really were helpful! I will have to get a chart that shows how many each of my pans feed! I have just been charging a flat rate! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%