I Know It's Possible...but

Decorating By masarost Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 11:45am by sweet_as_tisse

masarost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masarost Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 16

I've been asked to make a wedding cake combining both a cake and cupcakes - which aren't a problem - however, not sure what to do about the cupcake holder. Can anybody give me some suggestions? I appreciate the help. I live in Ontario, Canada and have never seen a cake rack like the one on the picture.
LL

15 replies
Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 16

I saw something similar in Party Packagers on Monday for only $10, but I don't think it was that big. It was only cardboard though, but it says on the package that it is strong enough to hold...and then the # of cupcakes. I can't remember the amount it holds. Do you have a Party Packagers near you? I went to the one in Burlington.

HTH

Jen

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 16

WEll you could probably make one cheaper than you buy one! If you use plexi glass or plywood and than put a center post down the middle and than supports branching out to hold up each layer going to the end. adn than cover it with what you want! Good Luck.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 16

here's another option used by some.

if going to do lots of these, or any kind of cake needing that style support (such as the calla lily illusion cake) might be worth the $$$

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BB93-475A-BAC0-52555DC793C1FEC1&fid=3E33109F-475A-BAC0-514197B5E889D67F

theecakelady47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theecakelady47 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 16

I got a tall tier stand (Wilton) off ebay at a decent price. I dont remember what it was exactly. Usually if I need a stand or something on the priceier side, I get a Michaels or ACMoore 50% off coupon, and buy it then. I feel much better not spending as much money icon_wink.gif I like the stand, and have used it twice, and cupcakes would work perfect, and you can do the top as a cake just like in the photo.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 16
ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 16

I remember seeing on here or maybe the wilton site where someone had a stand made for them. i tried to find the link but no luck. I remeber that they had the glass cut for them and used candle holders from ikea for supports. (they were siliconed to the glass). It looked really nice and I will have one made for myself some day. Sorry I can't help more and good luck.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 16

they sell those at Walmart for 10 bucks. You could go to sugarcraft.com and get it there too.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:01am
post #9 of 16

It looks like a cupcaketree.com product...icon_smile.gif

Just with ribbon around the edges...icon_smile.gif

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:35am
post #10 of 16

hi

here's a link I found on CC. There is also one if you do a search and just type in cupcake stand, you will find a few.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:36am
post #11 of 16

oops, forgot to add the link. sorry

http://www.k-boutique.com/cupcake_stand.pdf

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 9:27am
post #12 of 16

the wilton middle post cake stand will work

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:10am
post #13 of 16

I make my own using pillars and those silver covered cake boards/drums that you put a finished cake on. You just use sizes in tiers like you would for a cake. Look at some stands for sale to see what sizes are appropriate. I usually leave about 3" size difference in the boards eg/ 6" top, then 9", 12", 15" etc.. You just lift and separate the boards with pillars, or even upturned glasses. Whatever will give a nice support but still allow cupcakes to fit on the board.

Here is a picture of one I did recently. I didn't put ribbon around the board but you can if you like. The top tier had 3 pillars supporting it and the others had 4 pillars. As you get to the bottom tiers on a larger stand, you can use 5 or 6 pillars. You don't even have to glue them, but I always do because I am paranoid!!!!
LL
LL

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:14am
post #14 of 16

Just had another look at the photo you posted. It looks like their boards are 4" or 5" different in size. The cupcakes are smaller ones though, so just experiment with how many you think will fit. I sometimes trace around boards on paper then sit the baking cups on to see how many will fit!!!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:43am
post #15 of 16

Jessica that is just beautiful what a great job both your cakes and your stand

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:45am
post #16 of 16

Hey Jessica, great minds think alike...lol

i made a cupcake stand too using cake boards and stronge plastic glasses. (its in my pic's). very cheap and easy to make and you can make them to the size you need...

cheers

kylie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%