Raspberry Conserve From The Cake Bible

Decorating By ladyonzlake Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 10:54pm by cakesondemand

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 1:55am
post #1 of 13

Has anyone made this? Does it thicken up so that I could use it as a cake filling? I tried the raspberry puree and it soaks into the cake.
Jacqui

12 replies
ladyonzlake Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:07am
post #2 of 13

bump,bumpty,bump

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:10am
post #3 of 13

when I use a conserve or jam filling, I always put a thin( very thin) layer of buttercream on it so it doesn't soak in to the layers.

ladyonzlake Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:13am
post #4 of 13

I've seen that but won't it soak into the cake on top?
Jacqui

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:16am
post #5 of 13

I've had several fillings soak into the cake, and I usually don't consider it a problem? The cake still tastes great............. 'course, my decorating is very simple...........

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:18am
post #6 of 13

a little bit. not too much, but I usually use homemade jam which is a little more viscous than conserve.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:23am
post #7 of 13

can you mix it with buttercream?

ladyonzlake Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:25am
post #8 of 13

This will be for a wedding cake. I did a trial run with the raspberry puree out of the Cake Bible, which I love but it soaked into my cake and it was still yummy but for a paid wedding cake....it needs to be perfect. I'm thinking of adding some cornstarch to it to thicken it up a bit but I was wondering about the raspberry conserve...if it was thicker.
Jacqui

ladyonzlake Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:26am
post #9 of 13

No, unfortunately. I've done that and it's awsome but the bride wants a raspberry filling.
Jacqui

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 13

I haven't tried making the raspberry conserve, but I did try making the strawberry conserve and it totally didn't work. I did it exactly as the directions stated and I just ended up with mushy whole strawberries in strawberry flavred simple syrup. I can't use it for cakes, but DH loves it heated up on pancakes and waffles.

So now I just stick with seedles preserves. I find the Dickinson's brand to be the best (especially for raspberry).

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 13

When I do rasberry puree for a cake filling I put a bit of cornstarch in it.. just straight raspberries with a bit of sugar and corstarch.. and not tons, because as it cools it will thicken up.. and I also put a skim coat of buttercream under it like the PP said and an icing dam as well..

ladyonzlake Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I had already made the raspberry puree out of the Cake Bible so I added cornstarch and a little more sugar to sweeten it. I looks like it'll work great. I'll have to try the conserve another time to see how it works.
Jacqui

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 13

I use raspberry filling in the pouch. Should be some internet sites that sell them its nice and thick not to sweet and doesn't soak into the cake. I by mine from a cash and carry store here in town for $3 (two lbs)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%