Silicone Cake Mold

Decorating By galliesway Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm by kincaellan

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any experience with these? I was wondering if I'd having problems with the cake baking evenly. Here's a pic of the mold its an 8X10"

TIA,
Kelley
LL
LL

6 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 7

A question, does it say it is made with food grade or food safe silicone? Does it say how high a heat you can use with the mold? 350 degrees? Because some are not food safe and some can not take high heat. If it is safe to use with food I would set it inside a sheet cake pan or cookie sheet to bake. Have a feeling it will take awhile because it is thick and deep.

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with Shirley this mold is really thick. I have a couple and they are not this thick. You may want to make sure it can stand the heat. Good Luck and take pictures!

galliesway Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 7

It's FDA Platinum silicone. It can be baked up to 500 degrees. Thanks for the quick responses! icon_smile.gif I plan on doing a trial run on Monday. I hate my electric oven so I may go use my Mom's gas oven.

Kelley

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:32am
post #5 of 7

Hmmm, So here are my two bits as i'm making some moulds right now myself.
Make sure you cure the silicone before baking in it.
it needs to be cured at 150*f for four hours. this is after the initial cure time of it's creation. This helps get rid of some of the odour when it is baked the first few times. Other wise you may notice a real stink. No worries though it's still food safe food grade it's just unpleasant.

I would try a heating core. It's a thick looking mould but the horns(?) are tiny in relation. A rose nail wouldn't do too much.

It also really helps to have the mould on a screen rather than on a sheet pan directly. the increased air flow around it really males a difference.

hope that helps,

www.kincaellan.com

galliesway Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks kincaellan! Forgive my ignorance but where would you get that screen that you were talking about. I bought a heating core. Where do you get your silicone from btw?

Thanks again,
Kelley

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 7

The screen is just any kind of cake cooling screen. That allows the air to flow under the mould.

I get my silicone from a distributor in town and I think he gets it from the u.s.

www.kincaellan.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%