Help On Making A Large Mouth Bass Cake!

Decorating By cakejunkie Updated 24 Mar 2007 , 2:15pm by Beezaly

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 1:03am
post #31 of 44

You could try to use rice krispie treats molded into the shape of the fish, then cover that with a fondant.

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 1:46am
post #32 of 44

What ratio do you mix coloring w/ vodka? I've never used this technique before...?

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:26am
post #33 of 44

I just pour a few drops into the center of a saucer and put a little bit of color to the side. I use my paint brush to mix it together. Sometimes you'll need a little more vodka and sometimes a little less, depends on how dark a color you need.

froggyjustjumpin Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:43am
post #34 of 44

How I made the large mouth bass cake.

First I found a picture of the fish that I wanted to make and sized it to what I needed. After making an 8" round I layed a cutout of the fish on top and cut around it. I then finished carving the fish to shape. I crumb coated it with thinned down buttercream. I used the Wilton 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening receipe and I thinned it with milk. I then mixed the colors I needed for the fish. I used Wilton juniper green and Wilton golden yellow. I frosted the fish as close to the picture as I could. I used a tip 10 or 11 round to make the mouth. I blended the edges of the mouth into the body using the tapered spatula. I also cut the gill into the fish using the spatula and shaped the eye. After the frosting crusted I painted to markings of the fish using vodka and the coloring. You can use lemon extract. A friend gave me some vodka to use. I cut a straw and used it to make little half circles for the scales. I then made the fins using a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gum paste. I colored part yellow and part green, layed them side by side and rolled them out together. This blended the two colors together. I cut out the fins going by the picture of the fish making them longer so that I could insert them into the fish.

I hope this answers everyone's questions that PMed me. Sorry I did a duh moment on the answer when asked what colors I used, afterward I relized you meant which color. Sorry!! Today has been a very long day.

Beezaly Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:33pm
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyjustjumpin

How I made the large mouth bass cake.

First I found a picture of the fish that I wanted to make and sized it to what I needed. After making an 8" round I layed a cutout of the fish on top and cut around it. I then finished carving the fish to shape. I crumb coated it with thinned down buttercream. I used the Wilton 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening receipe and I thinned it with milk. I then mixed the colors I needed for the fish. I used Wilton juniper green and Wilton golden yellow. I frosted the fish as close to the picture as I could. I used a tip 10 or 11 round to make the mouth. I blended the edges of the mouth into the body using the tapered spatula. I also cut the gill into the fish using the spatula and shaped the eye. After the frosting crusted I painted to markings of the fish using vodka and the coloring. You can use lemon extract. A friend gave me some vodka to use. I cut a straw and used it to make little half circles for the scales. I then made the fins using a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gum paste. I colored part yellow and part green, layed them side by side and rolled them out together. This blended the two colors together. I cut out the fins going by the picture of the fish making them longer so that I could insert them into the fish.

I hope this answers everyone's questions that PMed me. Sorry I did a duh moment on the answer when asked what colors I used, afterward I relized you meant which color. Sorry!! Today has been a very long day.

Thank you so much!!!! Such a huge help!!!! icon_smile.gif

cakejunkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakejunkie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:03pm
post #36 of 44

Does the vodka mixed with wilton colors make the BC gummy at all? Does it effect the flavor? I think this is an awesome idea and I can't wait to try it! Thanks froggy for all your help and everyone else that has given ideas and suggestions, you all are great!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

froggyjustjumpin Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:23pm
post #37 of 44

I forgot to add I use a very soft brush and a light touch. This keeps the buttercream very moving to much.
The vodka is so high in alcohol that is evaporates and doesn't leave much if any taste behind.

cakejunkie Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #38 of 44

Does anyone know how I would go about making a tackle box to go along with this bass cake? Would gumpaste work or should I also make the tackle box out of cake like the fish? Does anyone have any pictures or instructions? Thanks a bunch!!

cakejunkie Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 9:38pm
post #39 of 44

Oh, in my last post I forgot ask if you can paint luster dust on BC, if so do you need to let it crust first?

Beezaly Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:34pm
post #40 of 44

froggyjustjumpin: Thank you so much for your unbelievable help-you helped to make my Bass fish cake a great sucess!!! I will be posting a picture of it shortly...

Stay tuned!!!! =)

Beezaly Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 10:17pm
post #41 of 44

Here it is.....!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 11:34pm
post #42 of 44

Nice Fish! Looks perfect to me!!

froggyjustjumpin Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:52am
post #43 of 44

Great job on your fish you did fantastic. Glad I could help you.

Beezaly Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:15pm
post #44 of 44

Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%