How Much $$ For A Small 2 Tier Cake ?

Business By amandasweetcakes Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 3:01am by mypastrychef

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 6

How much do you charge for a small 2 tier cake serving 30-35 people?

I usually make a 6" and 8" tier. Depending on fondant, etc., I charge between $65 and $80.

Sometimes I feel like I'm charging too little sometimes it seems like it's too much. I feel like I'm not consistent enough with my pricing.

5 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 6

Well, that's basically a small wedding cake so that pricing seems right. Stacking cakes is a whole different thing, as far as I am concerned. Way more stress than a sheet cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandasweetcakes

.....Sometimes I feel like I'm charging too little sometimes it seems like it's too much. I feel like I'm not consistent enough with my pricing.

My wedding cake pricing is etched is stone, but I felt the same way (inconsistent) on my sheet cakes and small round ones. Since I rarely do cakes this small, I'd go thru the "how much did I charge for that last one?" thing. So I finally created a price sheet for the sheet cakes and it's a whole lot easier now when I get a "how much is....?" question that I can just email them the price sheet.

So maybe if you write up a price list, even if it's for your own reference, it may help you at least stay in the range and you'd feel more consistent.

Just a thought....

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:07am
post #4 of 6

indydebi - I actually do have a pricelist for those types of cakes that I try to work from, but I'm always second guessing myself. Just wanted to be sure $65 to $80 seemed reasonable.

Thanks!!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:01am
post #5 of 6

My most popular size cake (other than wedding) is a 10" w/ 6" stacked on top. I charge $65 for basic buttercream, add $15 to cover in fondant, $15 to have fondant/gumpaste accents, $5 fruit filling, and other up charges as I see fit. This cake, in my shop, is usually $65 and then $15 for fondant accents =$80

I started doing this because I prefer the round cakes over the sheet cakes and telling someone what they can have for $20 more (1/2 sheet is $45) usually cinches the deal. My next price increase (Sept 2007) these cakes will go up to $70 basic.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 3:01am
post #6 of 6

I am in Louisiana and my starting price for a 6" & 10" is $100 for a simple design like pearl dots, to cover in fondant I add $64 (64 servings x $1.00) Fillings I charge more and fondant bow/accents or painting cost more.

6", 8" I don't offer unless pressed to make one and it takes about as much time as the 6,10 but I have made it for $80. and I say it can feed upto 46. so I would charge $46 extra to cover in fondant.

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%