Can Anyone Help?

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 12:33am by BrandisBaked

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 12

I am about to do a 25th anniversary cake in a couple of weeks and the person placing the order wants to have a Kermit the frog as the topper (apparantly Kermit was at the wedding icon_smile.gif ) does anyone have any tips if I am going to try and make this with fondant?? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

11 replies
fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 12

My suggestion is to do a search in the photo galleries to see if anyone has ever made a Kermit the Frog out of fondant or whatever and then PM them for instructions.

You may just figure out how to shape it on your own by looking at their picture, but definately try to contact them to get better instructions. Hopefully they'll be more than willing to give you advice. Sometimes there is advice or techniques in the comments on the photos.

Just give it a try, you may surprise yourself at what you are able to accomplish!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 12

You could always buy a little toy, and use it as a guide to make the fondant kermit. Then if all else fails, you can use the toy as a topper. Built-in backup!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 12

There's a CC member who does excellent fondant/gumpaste modelling. Her name is Liis. She has a tutorial on how to model Elmo in her photo gallery. Maybe you can PM her for some help.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 12

The easiest way I've found to do cartoon characters (and make them look right) is to use a cartoon image (like coloring book, etc.) and resize the image to the size you need (you can have Kinkos do this for you). Make a couple of copies and then cut out the different parts - shape of face. Eyes. Nose. Etc. And then do each of those template pieces to make everything to the right proportion. So much easier than eye-balling it and hoping it ends up looking right.

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 12

Hi, Tdybear,

What I do when I need to make something I haven't before (which is EVERY time) is what someone above suggested... get lots of reference pics online from this or other sites. That's how I made a cow once and it turned out ok.

I know you can do it! Good luck!

Ishie

Gapi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gapi Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 12

Hi, rjtaconner in her photos has a beautiful Kermit. Hope she con help you too.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 12

Bonus: If you use a purchased Kermit toy, it's legal.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 12

Here is a cool website for sculpting. I probably does not have kermit but it will give you some tips. http://www.sculpey.com/

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 12

Great tip, BrandiBakes. I sometimes have trouble with proportion and I never thought of that.Thanks

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 12

thank you so much guys, you all are so great

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:33am
post #12 of 12

One final note: when I couldn't find a cartoon drawing of characters I wanted (for the chocolate Bert and Ernie sculpture in my gallery), I took a photograph, placed it in one of those clear plastic page protecters and drew the outline with a sharpie - and then photocopied that.

I've been thinking of trying this with pictures of real people... wonder how well it would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%