This Question Goes Out To All Who Decorate With Fondant

Decorating By mcginnis Updated 27 Feb 2006 , 9:35pm by Mame

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 6:10am
post #31 of 33

Pettinice is also a better tasting fondant. Their chocolate fondant tastes close to a tootsie roll! I also know many who put a regular coat of buttercream under the fondant to add to the flavor.

mcginnis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcginnis Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 7:58pm
post #32 of 33

Wow! There sure is a lot to consider!

Since I will be experimenting for the first time, and after reading all the replies, (Which have been extremely helpful! Thank-you very much!),
This is what I have decided to do.
Wilton Fondant (I don't think so!)
I will go ahead with the MMF, then I will frost the cake underneath with the buttercream. It does sound like most of you perfer MMF over Wilton, (Here in the U.S.) so I will let you all guide me.
I'm sure the MMF will taste good, but I am like several of you that do not care for the texture. A cake frosting, to me anyway, should be fluffy, not chewy, That is why I will frost it underneath to please everyone.

I do have another question, and it may be stupid, but I have never shopped for glucose, or glycerine. Where on earth do you find that? Please don't tell me the internet. lol

Thank-you everyone! icon_biggrin.gif
mcginnis (Lisa)

Mame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mame Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 9:35pm
post #33 of 33

Lisa...you can find the glycerin and the glucose in the Wilton aisle in the stores that carry Wilton. The glycerin comes in a small bottle like the almond flavoring or the butter flavoring...and the glucose comes in a tub like the piping gel comes in.
As for icing your cake with the MMF...you need to put a smooth coat of buttercream underneath so that the fondant will stick to it - also the buttercream needs to be smooth, because the fondant will reflect and lumps or bumps!!!
Believe me you will love the combination of the buttercream and the homemade fondant...definitely NOT the Wilton fondant...the homemade is great...

Mame

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%