Cake Edge Issues

Decorating By CSMoore Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 4:26pm by indydebi

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 8

Hi To All
My skills have really been tested in the past 2 weeks with 2 wedding cake back to back. Everything turned out fine but didn't start that way. I had a hard time getting the edges to look smooth and not lumpy on the cakes. I used Melvira Method and the corner still wouldn't come out right so then I tried the paint scraper tool to try to get shape corners. Well that didn't work either. I finally got them to look okay but I wasn't saisfied with it. How does everything make sure the edges/corners of your cake are smooth and rounded or smooth and shape? Thanks

7 replies
JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 8

For me it's just practice. I have issues with this too. I love to see nice crisp sharp edges.

When I was working with the crusting buttercreams I used copy paper to smooth it....then I tried the Viva paper towels. I think the best thing that I did that helped me was I would put my cake in the fridge for a few minutes until the icing started to crust over a bit. Then I would have water that was very hot in a tall glass with several icing spatulas in the water "warming up". I would use them to smooth the icing. I would use a spatula until it would cool down then I would put it back into the hot water and get another one that was hot. This really worked for me.

Now, I use Italian Meringue Buttercream and I find it alot easier to smooth. It doesn't crust so I just let it get cool in the fridge and then use a hot spatula to smooth it.

If you ask me what the key to all of it is it has to be practice!! LOL!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 8

agree....practice practice practice. I let mine sit until it crusts, then use wax paper to smooth out the rough places. I have found that the wider the knife the easier it is, meaning that using a 4-5" wide paint spatula works better than my icing spatula. Using a turntable makes a REALLY big difference, too!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 8

I AGREE! Leaving your cake in the fridge helps. I love to use a big spatula and it is easier to use a turntable. It helps to move the cake as I go so I am not staying in one spot and keep messing up that space. I know that's what I use to do! Now I can't frost my cakes without my turntable! icon_biggrin.gif

rjtaconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjtaconner Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 8

I put mine the fridge to crust a bit, then I'll use a water bottle with warm water to get the icing silky smooth (make it has a fine mist setting). Then I put it back in the fridge to let it crust up again and will go back to the edges with a spatula to lightly push the edges into a clean corner.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 8

I put my semi-smooth frosted cake in the freezer for a few minutes, then back out and take a really hot, dry spatula and put a little more frosting on it while turning my cake on the turn table. For me, the hot spatula against cold cake is key.

Tray2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tray2 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

wow I never knew we shoulduse a wam knife... Thanks for the info... I ill try this onmy next cake icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tray2

wow I never knew we shoulduse a wam knife... Thanks for the info... I ill try this onmy next cake icon_smile.gif

Forever ago (like in the 70's) Wilton used to put this tip in their books, but it disappeared some time ago. I guess they wanted us to buy their smoothing tools and fondant instead! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%