Baking Temp.

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 3:19pm by susanmm23

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:27am
post #1 of 17

ok i remeber reading in a post on this site somewhere that it helps to bak your cakes at a lower temp. that it helps them rise evenly. i am making a 12 inch round tomorrow. i dont have a heating core. do i really need it??? if i drop the temp down will my cake still cook right???? i wish i could find that post to be sure im not confusing it with something else. can anyone help me

16 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:39am
post #2 of 17

I don't know where that thread is either, but I think you are right to drop the temperature to 325F on a 12" cake. If you have a metal flower nail, it has been recommended to use that in place of a core; just place it flat side down (after you coat it like your pan) in the center of the cake, should work.
I'm sure somebody will come up with the original posting, though. Janice

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:40am
post #3 of 17

I use a flower nail in mine. I've never baked a 12" without it so I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I can tell you that it baked very evenly...no big hump in the middle or overbaked edges. I also baked it at 325.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:53am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I don't know where that thread is either, but I think you are right to drop the temperature to 325F on a 12" cake. If you have a metal flower nail, it has been recommended to use that in place of a core; just place it flat side down (after you coat it like your pan) in the center of the cake, should work.
I'm sure somebody will come up with the original posting, though. Janice

OK IM LOST.. WHERE DOES THE FLOWR NAIL GO?

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:59am
post #5 of 17

you place it in the center of the pan in the batter. you put it flatside down with the nail up. Just take it out when the cake is done baking.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:12am
post #6 of 17

I've never used one. I've baked cakes up to 14" round.

momof3jotynjake Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:15am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeconfections

you place it in the center of the pan in the batter. you put it flatside down with the nail up. Just take it out when the cake is done baking.

OH, SO WHEN YOU FLIP THE CAKE OUT, YOU TAKE OUT THE NAIL?

WHAT DOES THE NAIL DO?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:17am
post #8 of 17

It helps to spread the heat evenly in a larger pan where the middle may otherwise take longer to bake without the aide of that metal in the middle.

momof3jotynjake Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:20am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

It helps to spread the heat evenly in a larger pan where the middle may otherwise take longer to bake without the aide of that metal in the middle.

OH OK! THANKS FOR CLARIFYING THAT! LOL... IVE NEVER TRIED THAT ONE BEFORE!
THANKS DAWN!

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:29am
post #10 of 17

So dawn you have done up to 14 inch with no problem with out using the heating core or the flower nail????? About how long will it take to bake a 12 inch at 325?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:31am
post #11 of 17

I'm thinking 45-60 minutes. Honestly, I don't keep good track of the time. My oven has a mind of it's own. I set the timer for 40-45 minutes and start checking. When it's done... it's done.

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:35am
post #12 of 17

i thought about 50 minutes to an hour. im like you i start checking my cakes about 40 minutes in. thank you soooooo much for you help. I will be baking up a storm tomorrow. two 12inch cakes, two 8 inch cakes, and two 6 inch cakes. plus more icing to make. hopefully my 2 year old will cooperate. lol

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 2:59pm
post #13 of 17

i finsihed my first 12 inch round. i usually only make 8-9 inch rounds. i have made one 10 in square so this is my biggest so far and let me tell you it came out perfect!!!!! no dome no cracks im so excited i had to tell someone.....

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 17

YEAAHHHHH! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

i finsihed my first 12 inch round. i usually only make 8-9 inch rounds. i have made one 10 in square so this is my biggest so far and let me tell you it came out perfect!!!!! no dome no cracks im so excited i had to tell someone.....

wooo hooo!! good job!! how long did you have it in the oven for?
how do you get it so that there is no dome!!!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 17

Way to go, susan!! So did you use the flower nail or not? Let me know. I was thinking of breaking in a 12" pan myself. Thanks!!

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 17

it baked in 45 minutes. no flower nail i dropped the baking temp to 325 instead of 350 and it baked up perfectly. i dont know if it was luck or what. i still have one more 12 inch to go so i will let you guys knw if it comes out just as good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%