Buttercream Bows

Decorating By zoozieqv Updated 16 Apr 2005 , 9:30am by AngelWendy

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 17

Ok, I need some advice. I have a lady that wants this cake minus the fondant accents and topper. So, basically she wants this color and the silver beads and 3 tiers. She said she doesn't want anything this busy. She has a tiara and sceptor she can put up on top and I told her I could put some buttercream bows around the edge of the 2nd and 3rd layers to add in the other colors of the party....which are purple and light pink and ??? I don't know what else. She doesn't have a scanner to show me her invitations, she lives in another area of houston and the party is Saturday!!!! Plus, she said she had a pastry chef lined up to do the cake for her who was going to charge her like $10 less than what I quoted. However, he is sick with diabetes and backed out at the last minute. This is a cake to feed 70!!!!!!!! My prices are on my website, basically .85cents per slice and I think I'm really cheap!!!! ( I usually charge $5 per layer for fillings - she has three but I am charging her $5 for filling all 3 with plain buttercream) I'm feeling a little pressure and need some support! HELP!!!! icon_cry.gif

16 replies
zoozieqv Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 17

Oops!! Here is the cake she wants.....(I did not make this)
LL

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 12:29am
post #3 of 17

What kind of flower is on it....is it a daisy...well whatever it is, can you duplicate it in royal icing or BC?? You said there was going to be a septor and tiara on top.....is this for a child's birthday? The issue about the pricing, don't let her intimidate you. Your prices are fine and if it really bothered her she would have found someone else to do it for her. Remember, you are the decorator and know what you are doing, so just do your thing and I'm sure it will be fine!!!

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 12:37am
post #4 of 17

I agree with CIndymm4, you can't give your cakes away. You should have stayed firm with your price. If your cakes are nice, and delicious, they will sell themselves. Good luck icon_wink.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 12:37am
post #5 of 17

I really don't like when people do that...say so and so would do it for less. It's rude. You prices IMHO are low...much lower then anyone where I live would charge. I wonder who this pastry chef is? I don't know of too many who charge less than $1 per serving and that's low. Plus it's last minute and she's not giving you a lot of help. Follow the pastry chef's lead, get sick too--LOL! If you still want to do the cake, charge exactly what you'd charge anyone else. Don't let an order/customer make you feel pressured. You're in control right. You should decide when you do a cake, what to charge and who your customers will be. That's the joy of all this. Sometimes people might think success is measured by the number of cake orders you fill. If that were true, we'd all be looking up to Walmart. I think success is in enjoying what you do. If this cake isn't going to bring you joy in some way...just say no.

zoozieqv Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 1:49am
post #6 of 17

THank you. I am reading your encouragment and I took a deep breath. You are right!! I must enjoy it or it's not worth doing!!!!! Thank you!
suzanna icon_smile.gif

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 8:52am
post #7 of 17

I agree with what everyone else has told you as well. You cannot let someone intimidate you into throwing things in for free or discounted, and unless that pastry chef was family, or he/she had a spare cake collecting frost in a freezer, there is no way that she was quoted less than what you will charge for what she says she wants. Also, just a feeling here, but be carefull that she does not try to pull a 'that's not what I wanted, so you don't get paid' line. Make sure you cover your tush. Like I said, just a feeling. Take a deep breath and have a cup of tea girl.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 17

See if you can get payment in advance, or at least half up front.

Is it possible to get buttercream bows to stand up like that? It looks like fondant bows in the picture. It sounded like she just wants the three layers in that color with silver beads and she's doing her own topper. Are you sure she wants bows at all?

I'm sure you're going to do a great job! Have fun and enjoy it as you work. My suggestion is to get started on the baking ASAP so you don't have too much rushing to do the last day. Is she going to come pick it up from you at least or do you have to deliver, too?

Best of luck!!!!
~AngelWendy

zoozieqv Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 17

We are going to meet half way at her sister's house for the delivery! I know that the buttercream bows won't look like in the picture, I was just thinking I could add them in....but I was thinking about it last night and a better way to add in the other colors would be to use the other colors in the frosting that holds the little silver beads onto the cake. Like a larger colored dot with the silver bead in the middle. This would keep it more to a simple elegance! THIS IS FOR A 6 YEAR OLD!!!! Have some fun!!!! Either way, I must give the customer what she wants.

zoozieqv Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 17

She doesn't want the flowers or the candles or the bows at all....I don't know why she sent me this picture...... just the color and the stacking and the silver beads!

Lisa Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 1:09pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoozieqv

We are going to meet half way at her sister's house for the delivery! I know that the buttercream bows won't look like in the picture, I was just thinking I could add them in....but I was thinking about it last night and a better way to add in the other colors would be to use the other colors in the frosting that holds the little silver beads onto the cake. Like a larger colored dot with the silver bead in the middle. This would keep it more to a simple elegance! THIS IS FOR A 6 YEAR OLD!!!! Have some fun!!!! Either way, I must give the customer what she wants.

I think that would be really pretty.

zoozieqv Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:00am
post #12 of 17

Well, she called back yesterday and decided she wanted the bows. I charged her a minimal fee for them....I am such a pushover!!! I want the experience!!!! Either way, I delived this afternoon and she seemed pleased. These were the colors she wanted. I threw the white flowers in for free! I hope they all like it!!!!!!!
LL

zoozieqv Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:01am
post #13 of 17

I did have a hard time smoothing the icing but, this picture looks REALLY bad!!!! I posted it under children's b-day cakes. Hopefully that one looks better!!!! icon_redface.gif

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:05am
post #14 of 17

The cake turned out really nice. Maybe other Mommies will give you a call once they see this cake and all the trouble you went through on this cake will be well worth the headaches!

Lisa Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:01am
post #15 of 17

I like the colors on your's much better than the original. Great cake thumbs_up.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:07am
post #16 of 17

Good job, I like both. Each has their own unique qualites.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 9:30am
post #17 of 17

Nice job! Congrats on finishing it!!!
Argh to indecisive customers!! Bows look nice, though!

::highfive::

~AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%