Moist White Cake Recipe???

Baking By jdelectables Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 11:15am by lcdmarie

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:34am
post #1 of 14

Hi, all ~

I am looking for a good white cake recipe. I have found a good yellow and chocolate on but need a moist and flavorful white cake. Any help out there?

Thanks,
Julie

13 replies
daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:36am
post #2 of 14

Are you looking for a scratch recipe? Or a doctored box mix?

I don't have one to share but I too would like a moist, flavorful scratch white cake recipe!

jdelectables Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:41am
post #3 of 14

I'm looking for a scratch recipe.

Julie

jdelectables Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 14

anyone?

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 14

I love the White Cake with Lemon Filling recipe on this site. It is not dry but not really moist, kind of in-between (does that make any sense?)

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 14

KA white cake, white velvet by "cake bible", and white cake by "cook's illustrated" are all very good scratch cakes to try. you can do a search on the web and see which one sounds good to you.

actually, i've been experimenting with my white cakes and added 2 TB of veg. oil to the batter. i've tried this with all three cakes i have mentioned, but so far i only tried the KA cake. the result was a moister cake, this weekend i will be trying the other two cakes. good luck!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 14

This recipe is tried and true by myself as well as Le Cordon Bleu.

Ingredients
Stage 1

Cake flour 1 lb. 8 oz.
Baking powder 1 and 1/2 oz.
Salt 1/2 oz.
Emulsified shortening 12 oz.
Sugar 1 lb. 14 oz.
Skim milk 12 oz.
Vanilla 2 tsp.
Almond extract 1 tsp.

Stage 2
Skim milk 12 oz.
Egg whites 1 lb.

1. Scale ingredients and have them at room temp.

2.Sift the flour, baking powder, soda and salt into the mixing bowl and add the shortening. With the paddle, mix at low speed for 2 mins. Stop scrape down bowl and mix again for 2 mins.

3.Sift remaining dry ingredients into the bowl and add part of the milk. Blend on low for 3-5 mins. stopping occasionally to scrape down bowl.

4. Combine the remaining liquids and lightly beaten eggs, with mixer running add this mixture to the batter in three parts. After each part, turn off mixer and scrape down the bowl. Continue mixing for a total of 5 minutes, batter will appear quite liquid.

claudia05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claudia05 Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 14

Hi Julie,

I am also in a search for the perfect moist white cake recipe (from scratch). I've tried a few but the one I liked the most of the the few that I tried is the one from the Cake Bible. But I still want to see if there is a better recipe. I will let you know if I find anything.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for the chocolate and yellow cake?

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 14

Here is the recipe that was handed down to me from my mother. I use it as a base recipe for every cake, if it's chocolate or whatever, I adjust it. It's kind of a "throw together" one bowl cake; no need to sift or anything. I have made it so many times, and it's never come out wrong. It's always sooooo yummy! This recipe makes enough batter for 2 9-in round pans.

Snowy White Cake
2 1/3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
1/2 c water
2/3 c milk
1 tsp vanilla (I always throw in an extra cap or two for good measure)
4 egg whites

Cream together shortening and sugar, add remaining ingredients, except for egg whites, and mix well. Add egg whites and beat for two minutes. Bake at 350 degrees.

The baking time depends on your oven, I guess; the recipe says to bake for 35 minutes, but in my oven, it only seems to take about 20-25.

jdelectables Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks, mpaigew! I will give that one a try. Appreciate all the feedback!

The recipe that I use for chocolate is the one on this site called "chocolate cake layers". Yummy!! It takes alot of cocoa and chocolate, which gave me pause at first, just because of the expense, but I used a store brand cocoa the first time I made it and it was excellent! The yellow cake layer recipe I tried and liked is from Nati (?) from "Nati's cakes". I got it from the ladycakes website. It is as follows:

Yellow Cake Layers
Makes two 8" layers

2 1/4 c. sifted cake flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 c. milk (I just used 2 % 'cause that's what I had)
1 t. vanilla extract

Into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter; add sugar gradually, beating, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, add the vanilla, and beat the batter until it is smooth.
Divide the batter between 2 lightly greased and floured 8" x 1 1/2" round cake pans, smoothing the top and rap each pan on a hard surface twice to expel any air bubbles.
Bake the layers in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the layers pull away slightly from the sides of the pans. Let the layers cool in the pans on a rack for 8 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge of each pan, and invert the layers onto the racks. Let the layers cool completely.

Nati also writes that she uses a simple syrup on the layers. I didn't and the cake was just fine.

Julie

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 14

Julie,

I just made that yellow cake recipe and the batter texture was something akin to whipped BC. Is that hows its supposed to be? They are puffing up pretty nicely in the oven, but I'm scared....

jdelectables Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 12:09am
post #12 of 14

Yeah, it is a pretty thick batter from what I can remember. I've only made it a few times. Hope it turns out.

Julie

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 1:35am
post #13 of 14

It's baked and cooled and it turned out awesome!! The sides are a little dark, but i think its because i over filled my pans and they had to bake for a while longer. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the recipe, I will definatley be using it for my yellow cakes now. No more boxed mixes with their horrible preservatives and chemically after tastes!!

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:15am
post #14 of 14

than you for the recipes icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%