Anyway To Save "gritty" Icing

Decorating By ravaner5810 Updated 13 Apr 2005 , 11:42pm by ravaner5810

ravaner5810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ravaner5810 Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 4

I must've got a bad batch of powdered sugar. I made my first batch using a new bc recipe from here and I love it! So I started to make the second batch, which is for my colors, and after I separated and added in the color tried it. It's as gritty as gritty can be. My first batch is great and I don't taste it at all in there (thank goodness that's the part I'm icing the whole cake with).

Is there anything I can do to save it? This is for a friend's daughter, she paid for all the materials and then some. So I'm feeling the pressure, not to mention I don't want to eat or feed anyone "Gritty icing". This stuff is so bad I can feel it when I rub it between my fingers, yuck.

I used Dixie Crystals for the bad batch and walmart brand for the good. Any suggestions. I thought the dixie crystal would be better but I guess I was wrong. I guess I can always make more....

Rae

3 replies
galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 4

Hi! I don't know what to do to correct this, but I had the same problem a few weeks ago, I used Cornflower Blue Wilton coloring and the icing then had a gritty texture...thinking maybe the color was old when I bought it? It was gross - kept clogging up my decorating tip it was so grainy.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 4

I dont think it was your colors that caused the grainy. It was your sugar. Sometimes you get a bad bag but a lot of times the cheaper sugars will cause that. I use to use cheap stuff al the time till I got a bag that caused my frosting to be gritty. I have used nothing but pure cane or dominos ever since.

ravaner5810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ravaner5810 Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Becky-

I'm pretty sure our publix sells domino. I'm going to go get some tonite and give it a shot. I'm going to sift it a few times now too. I figure I'll go ahead and remake both icings since, I'm petrified the other may have a few undesirable spots. I'm really picky about icing, so this is a must for me. Oh well, glad I started early with this cake!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%