Princess Castle Questions...

Decorating By itsloops Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 4:10pm by sweetcakesva

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:08am
post #1 of 7

I want to make a castle cake for my daughters 4th birthday. I've seen lots of great cakes on this site. Some that I think I can make and some that are just too out of my league.

I've seen some that come with walls that have notches or cut outs but I'm not sure what they used to make that since I purchase my fondant and it's too soft to make walls with, let alone a wall with a notch at the top.

Can anyone give me any ideas or instructions on how to make a castle cake with notches? I've see some that have mashmallows instead of notches but I really want this came to have the "Wow" effect. I think I'm up for the challenge.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

Itsloops

6 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:13am
post #2 of 7

I think your best bet is to find castle cakes you love on this site and PM the person (people) who made them for detailed help. Most people are willing!
I used sugar cubes on one of my castles, but I do think the carved notches are cooler.

Good luck!

BTW, castle cakes are easier than you think! They are time consuming, but they're a lot of fun.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:16am
post #3 of 7

One more thing...gumpaste is much sturdier than fondant and dries very hard. That might be a good material to use for your turrets.

dods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dods Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:48am
post #4 of 7

Hi..

I am presently trying to make a castle for my god daughter's birthday. I am not clear what notches you are looking for.....but have made my turrents which look like these and have these notches out of mmf mixed with gumtex. If you need any help then PM.

dods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dods Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:57am
post #5 of 7

OOoops forgot the attachment.
LL

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:06am
post #6 of 7

Hi all,

thanks for all helpful comments. I will take them all into consideration.

I know I can count on my little CC family in time of need.

If anyone has other comments or helpful ideas, please do pm me.

Dods, I did pm you as well for help on turrets. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 7

not sure but wouldn't guntex help with a firmer fondant??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%