What Went Wrong?

Decorating By meggers Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 9:42pm by bethola

meggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggers Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:36am
post #1 of 7

I made a white almond sour cream cake for a friend of mine. It looked great at first. Then the icing started to bulge and fall. I thought I fixed it, but on the drive to deliver it, the top layer started slide off and the icing started to fall again. This has never happened before so I'm trying to figure out what happened. My thoughts are 1) the cake was too moist (I accidentally added double the oil) or 2) my icing wasn't the right consistency (too thin). Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 3:04am
post #2 of 7

Sorry this happened to you. When you say the icing was thin, do you mean the thickness on the cake or the consistency of the icing? If it is not firm when putting it on the cake then I would think that the icing was just too runny and needed more powdered sugar.

meggers Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 7

I thought maybe the consistency maybe was too thin. Although it seemed fine when I was putting it on. I was so happy at first because I did my best smoothing job ever on the icing.

I am using that same batch of icing for another cake tonight. If I just add some more powdered sugar will that make it better?

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 7

I think it should help though you may need to add a tiny bit of flavor to counteract the sweetness and possible some meringue powder would help.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 7

Two questions:

1. Did you make crusting b/c?

2. Where do you live? Is it rainy or humid?

This happened to me last Thursday. Needed to have a cake done on Friday. COULD NOT get the icing to "behave". It was raining outside. Waited until the next day. Worked PERFECTLY!!

Also, had a wedding cake for Labor Day Weekend. HOT AND HUMID IN KY!! Used crusting b/c. The humidity caused the icing to "let go" at cake level and just slid off the cake! The only answer was to take off a section of icing and redo. Then, it looked fine!

HTH

Beth in KY

meggers Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

Two questions:

1. Did you make crusting b/c?

2. Where do you live? Is it rainy or humid?

This happened to me last Thursday. Needed to have a cake done on Friday. COULD NOT get the icing to "behave". It was raining outside. Waited until the next day. Worked PERFECTLY!!

Also, had a wedding cake for Labor Day Weekend. HOT AND HUMID IN KY!! Used crusting b/c. The humidity caused the icing to "let go" at cake level and just slid off the cake! The only answer was to take off a section of icing and redo. Then, it looked fine!

HTH

Beth in KY

1) I made buttercream dream.

2) I'm in the midwest and on Sunday when iced the cake it was 50ish degrees out and beautiful out.

This is at least the third time I've made buttercream dream and I've never had this issue before. That's why I was wondering if maybe the extra oil caused part of the problem.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry, I really don't know then. Was the cake oily to touch? If so, that was probably the problem. I'd say if your icing was too thin you would have noticed pretty much right away.

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%