Wilton Color Mist Question

Decorating By JulesM7 Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 11:30pm by weirkd

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 6

I made some lavendar gumpaste tulips using the gumpaste mix and another set using the premade gumpaste to save time. They are two totally different colors. Has anyone used the Wilton Color Mist spray on gumpaste? How did it work for you? I am thinking of spraying all of the tulips to get a more uniform look.

5 replies
chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 6

When I was taking my Wilton Fondant & Gumpaste course, we tried the colour mist spray on the gumpaste carnations to see what it would look like. They looked great - much better than the edging in shimmer dust, like they recommend. The flowers looked much more natural. But, they needed to dry a bit, and you had to use a light touch with the spray.

I haven't explored this any further, but you can always do a test one, and let us know how it works!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 6

The problem I've had with that spray is that it doesnt go very far. I found that if you use it with conjunction of the petal dusts that your stuff comes out better. I used it on a chocolate champagne bottle and the green just didnt look right. It looked better when I added moss color petal dust to it.
One of the things I was told by a cake judge (Sandra Hardgrave) that using more than one color on a flower makes it look more realistic. I took a hibiscus class and the instructor confirmed it. We used two different colors over each other and she said to hold it to the light. You could see the other color coming through which made the flower look real.
So on your carnation I would spray it, let it dry and then go back with another color over it. Also, it makes gumpaste really wet so go light with it! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

weirkd Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 6

Sorry, I mean tulips! I also forgot to tell you that Nicholas Lodge suggests using a light green at the base and sweep up so the deeper color is at the bottom of the tulip. I did that on my toile cake and they looked more realistic than the ones I did in my cake topper. My husband suggested I pull all of them out before the judging but there was ofcourse no time!

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks - I might try the color mist. If I do, I'll post pics of the results.

weirkd Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 6

Cool! Looking forward to seeing them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%