Making Red Velvet From Chocolate Or Yellow Mix..... How?

Baking By golfgirl1227 Updated 26 Feb 2006 , 2:58pm by tastycakes

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 10

Can you make a red velvet cake from either of these mixes? The reason I ask is I have a request for egg/dairy free red velvet and I found a company that makes cake mixes that are egg/dairy free, but they only have yellow and chocolate.

What could I add to either of these to make it red velvet?

TIA,
Suz

9 replies
PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 22 Feb 2006 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 10

You sure can! Red velvet cake is just chocolate cake tinted red, so get you some red food coloring and go for it! thumbs_up.gif

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl1227

I found a company that makes cake mixes that are egg/dairy free, but they only have yellow and chocolate.

My daughter has a dairy allergy. Duncan Hines just changed their recipe and now uses milk in their boxed mixes. Would you share the company that makes dairy free cake mixes?

TIA

golfgirl1227 Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 10

[quote="projectqueen"

My daughter has a dairy allergy. Duncan Hines just changed their recipe and now uses milk in their boxed mixes. Would you share the company that makes dairy free cake mixes?

TIA[/quote]

Sure, no problem! The website is www.cherrybrookkitchen.com and they also have mixes for cookies!

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 10

I'd use the chocolate. Cake Doctor book starts with german chocolate and adds 1/2 c. water, 1/4 c/ veg. oil, 1 c. sour cream(but you would probably just add more water and oil or soy yogurt?) 1 one ounce bottle no-taste red food coloring, and 3 large eggs (do those count as dairy?).

tastycakes Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 10

Or you could add cocoa power to the yellow, but I'd have no idea how much!

golfgirl1227 Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 2:35am
post #7 of 10

She's allergic to eggs too!

Poor thing!

If I use the choc, and only turned half of it red how much red would I need? Would a whole thing work since it's so brown?

I'm making choc. for her to try as well, so that's why I'm only going to use half.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 3:44am
post #8 of 10

The Red Velvet cake I make from scratch only uses 3 Tablespoons of cocoa but a whole bottle of red food coloring (I think they are 1 ounce) If you add those to either one you would get a red cake, IMO.

golfgirl1227 Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 3:33am
post #9 of 10

Update:

I tried it with both the yellow mix and the choc. mix. It didn't really work out too well with the choc. mix. Who knows why, but the yellow mix worked well. I didn't really like the result, but the bride who tried it today LOVED it. She was so pleased. I guess when you are used to dietary restrictions and what it does to recipes, then you appreciate things differently.

Thanks for all the help!

tastycakes Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 10

Good for you Golfgirl! I'm so glad something worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%